Old sewing machines (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Novum1.jpgnovum2.jpgNovum3.jpgNovum4.jpgNovum6.jpg

I just purchased this from eBay for £20. Turns out it was at the other end of my road! I plugged it in to test it and hey bingo, it works, light and all. Just need to get some oil and a new rubber for the bobbin winder and it's good to go.

Anyone know anything about this machine? The seller told me they got in the the 50's but that's all they can remember about it.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a very well-spent £20 indeed. These are a Janome machine and were very well thought of in their day, built in either Switzerland or Germany IIRC, should be loads on the interweb about these, manuals etc.

The buttonholer attatchment is also a very good bit of kit and probably worth more than you've paid for the lot! Very good catch, sir :)

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
That's a very well-spent £20 indeed. These are a Janome machine and were very well thought of in their day, built in either Switzerland or Germany IIRC, should be loads on the interweb about these, manuals etc.

The buttonholer attatchment is also a very good bit of kit and probably worth more than you've paid for the lot! Very good catch, sir :)

Ta for the info! This one is made in Ireland. All metal internals as far as I can see, I would presume this would handle canvas with the correct needles...? If not I've a multitude of tatty clothes to fix anyway.

http://sewingparts.co.uk/novum.html

See here for many extras, and bobbin rubbers for a fiver...............
Thanks for the link! Many hours of searching have just been saved :)

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think it'll handle anything you can fit under the foot - Janome never made a duff machine, and with no plastic or nylon gears to strip, you're away!

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
On running the machine after dropping oil in all the parts, I can detect an odd smell for want of a better term. It's certainly not burning plastic or the like, but running the motor gives off this strange whiff... something akin to a lighter version of cut metal :/

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
On running the machine after dropping oil in all the parts, I can detect an odd smell for want of a better term. It's certainly not burning plastic or the like, but running the motor gives off this strange whiff... something akin to a lighter version of cut metal :/

It could be dust burning off the bulb or motor if it's not been run for a long time.

It wouldn't do any harm to get it serviced though.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I get the old scaleltric smell when I run a machine that's new to me some of these critters haven't worked for years .

Get it PAT tested for peace of mind ,

With a service and a good run it tends to sort things out

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You are correct, grease is what's required but you wouldn't believe how many people soak the motors in oil!

I think the smell means nothing except the period it's stood for and I'd just get on and use it, lightly at first; don't give it anything too hefty for a while. Nothing to worry about, I think :)

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
You are correct, grease is what's required but you wouldn't believe how many people soak the motors in oil!

I think the smell means nothing except the period it's stood for and I'd just get on and use it, lightly at first; don't give it anything too hefty for a while. Nothing to worry about, I think :)
I knew that was bad lol! I presume any general purpose grease is okay? I had the brushes out, they look pretty good and cleaned up the commutator too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE