oil bottle with brush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
After seeing this thread I looked out an old paint match pot with built in brush and managed eventually to clean it out enough to try it with some camellia oil. Works well with the brush, but I don't think the lid is secure enough to feel confident about it not leaking if out and about. May just be the particular pot I used, not sure if others may be better. Fine for using at home though so still a worthwhile effort.

Cheers, Paul

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I can heartily recomend the Mk 3 oil can for use when travelling.

CansOilMk3Labelled_zps8dfab6f6.jpg

The two on the far left are plastic and quite brittle compared to modern stuff, which is a shame as they are the most commonly available now. the next 4 are cheap wartime variations that are becoming increasingly rare, also they some times leak. The green paint on one of them just signifies (up to the 60s) that it was meant for the low tempreture version of the gun oil for winter/artic use. The 4 on the right are all brass, either nickel plated or painted with green enamel. The Australians and Canadians made them through out the war so some can be a bit rough/leaky but i've never had a post war one lose oil. The UK nickel ones tend to be dated post war (a 1939 one would be a real find).

If you require something a bit bigger The Can, oil, M.G. Mk I takes about half a pint and still has a brush attached to the lid. Up to a few years back you could pick them up for next to nowt. If you find some, give them a good shake as they sometimes rust internally while in storage, being made of steel, but you can hear the flakes rattle about in a bad un.

oilCan_zps6b0378f5.jpg

Again wartime ones are more likely to be leaky than post war. Because of the particular conditions they were operating in Borneo the Aussies had a even bigger oil bottle, still with the brush fitted. The stanadrd quart water bottle had the spout removed and replaced with the cap assembly off the Mk I oil can.

There's plenty of other military, tough, oil containers but these are the ones I know of with brushes.

I'll get my anorak...

ATB

Tom

Last edited:
N

Nomad

Thanks Rich. Sounds like a 125ml bottle of Napier's gun oil should fit nicely.

Follow-up: The 125ml bottle of Napier oil went in with about 10ml left over (judged using the shoogle test).

N

Nomad

Yay, result :)

Which Napier oil did you get? I got this one which is fine but it doesn't really dry like I was hoping.

Same stuff. Oops.

How long have you left it for so far? (I only did my axes a couple of hours ago.)

N

Nomad

If I leave it hanging in the bat cave for a couple of days it does dry eventually :)

Ah. Good. :)

That sounds fine - I was thinking it would maybe take a week. (Uncle Ray does say between outings, even though he's doing it 'at camp', and apparently takes a gallon can of linseed oil with him - it's amazing what you can get into a 45L pack...)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If it's for in a gun cabinet or even a biggish store cabinet for other kit a low watt old fashioned lightbulb fitted to the inside and left on will dry the oil ad inhibit moisture in a slightly damp house. (Put it at the bottom of the cabinet to take advantage of the tiny amount of convection better.)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I too used to carry the brass Enfield oiler, but for rifles, but didn't like the weight. Then I tried bakelite. These were good, but still more than needed for outings of even several weeks duration.
Would you consider something very simple and inexpensive? If so, this is what I now carry because it's cheap and compact: get a small 10ml plastic bottle,like those that are given out at the doctor's office, with eye or ear medication. Wash it out, fill with oil. Buy a small paint brush and cut off the handle so it's only long enough to hold between your thumb and forefinger. A few drops of oil on the brush lets you put a light and even coat on anything, no mess and dirt cheap.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
What about just carrying an oily rag in a ziplock bag. I have one in my gun case so when I have finished shooting I can wipe it over before putting it in the case.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
followed this link and purchased one of these bottles and it arrived today. It is everything it was described as and will be very useful.

thanks Goatboy for the link

No worries, they are nice wee bottles - unfortunately I have a thing for wee tins and bottles. Glad to be able to help.

GB.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I too used to carry the brass Enfield oiler, but for rifles, but didn't like the weight. Then I tried bakelite. These were good, but still more than needed for outings of even several weeks duration.
Would you consider something very simple and inexpensive? If so, this is what I now carry because it's cheap and compact: get a small 10ml plastic bottle,like those that are given out at the doctor's office, with eye or ear medication. Wash it out, fill with oil. Buy a small paint brush and cut off the handle so it's only long enough to hold between your thumb and forefinger. A few drops of oil on the brush lets you put a light and even coat on anything, no mess and dirt cheap.
I do love the DIY approach, much of my kit has been of that ilk over the years but I fancied something a little different this time around. It's not too heavy in the grand scheme of things anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE