Oi Fatty

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

royce22

Sep 24, 2010
Camberley Surrey
Being fairly new to this game I hadn't even heard of "Fat Wood" until I read a post by The Big Lebowski. So following my recent success with fire lighting with a flint and steel, I fancied looking for some. After acquiring my latest piece of shiny (a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe) I decided to go on a mission. However I didn’t expect to find anything even closely resembling Fat wood. So you can imagine my surprise when I came across a likely tree stump. I’d tried a few prior to this one and using the back of the axe head gave them a thump. The first few just crumbled as they were completely rotted through, but this one felt solid, so after a quick chop, its treasure was revealed. Soon after I found 2 more just like it. :D

I was tring to upload pictures but not too sure how to go about it :confused:

royce22

Sep 24, 2010
Camberley Surrey
img0358kx.jpg

img0357a.jpg

Hopefully this works

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
No probs, I am now on the hunt for fat wood, I never realised what it was hiding in, allways thought it was a specific tree, cool good find dude,

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Well done that man :)

A few scrapes of a chipping, followed by a few matchsticks of FW will get any fire going... The shavings normally take on 2-3 strikes.
I've lit my last three fires no probs, with just a few grams. I think nature takes at a guess maybe 10 or more years to develop the resin,
so keep your spots close to your chest LoL!
One stump could last you a lifetime, two and you are laughing!!

2m6ofvq.jpg

The fire lit in the picture used half the shaving from above, is windproof and will burn for at least 60 seconds.

Back this up with a few fethersticks and you are away.

1znangk.jpg

Same as you, tip I've learned is to tap the stump top in various places with the back of your axe... If you get a hard 'ting' its worth investigating.

I'm very pleased your efforts paid off, its one of natures kindest gifts fire wise, and should be respected accordingly.

P.s I'm new to this myself, so i think we both got lucky.

Regards, TBL.

Last edited:

royce22

Sep 24, 2010
Camberley Surrey
No probs, I am now on the hunt for fat wood, I never realised what it was hiding in, allways thought it was a specific tree, cool good find dude,

Was an old pine tree, been dead for a while. give it a tap with back of axe and if it sounds/feels solid you should be in luck. (hark at me sounding like an old pro, only found it once lol)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE