Oh dear, poor Roe Deer.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Lunchtime local tv newsclip, indicates poachers may be responsible for the killing of deer, at two locations near the coastal resort of Bridlington.

The clip did not say how the animals were killed, but one beast was de-capitated , de-hoofed and left in a plastic bag, in a stream.
Police seemed to indicate that firearms were used and are appealing for information..

This incident, is real bads news. :(

In disgust......
Ceeg

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Some people should not be allowed to live. Simple as. That is not even poaching - to kill a deer and leave it's mutilated body is someting there isn't a word strong enough to describe. Utterly sickening dosn't even come close. Sometimes I think that a totalitarian state would be a good thing - it's the only way people like this can be removed from society.

Bring on the sterilisation, and stop the filthy mongrels from breeding.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Yeah, I agree. This completely abhorrent. :(
I can't abide what seems on the face of it to be senseless trophy killing. I believe that if you are so inclined to kill an animal then you are obliged to use as much of it as possible and not to waste it in this despicable way.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Lurch said:
I wonder if the beast was left in the stream to keep it cool until such time as poachers could recover it.

That was one of my first thoughts too, but why decapitate it and dehoof it first? It couldn't take much more time than wrapping, securing and dragging it to a river to fully butcher it.

It seems there is something more than poaching involved here, and it wouldn't much suprise me if it was someone acting out some twisted holywood fantasy of what they imagined a gangland killing to be. Hopefully the deer wasn't a practice run before moving up a level to some poor innocent.

Whatever the truth, the one certainty is that this is going to leave the authorities and the public a negative impression about the overwhelming majority of people who live in, work in and enjoy the countryside responsibly.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I dunno, but to gralloch it and take the head and legs off wouldn't take much time and leave a carcass small enough to be bagged and hidden, thereby allowing them to recover it when safer.
Roe isn't exactly a large beast but presumably they didn't want lifted with anything on them.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
NickBristol said:
Whatever the truth, the one certainty is that this is going to leave the authorities and the public a negative impression about the overwhelming majority of people who live in, work in and enjoy the countryside responsibly.

Yeah, Nick.

Totally agree with this and would like to see something to counteract this, flagged large! .

Ceeg

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I certainly don't condone what's been done, but is it really going to leave a negative impression? I think most people are sensible enough to realise that a few mindless things like this don't necessarily translate to the whole hunting community.

I also don't understand why it automatically requires sterilisation etc of the culprits.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
See? There we go again. I really don't understand why one dead deer means that the bad guys should be hung, drawn, quartered and generally given a very bad time. What's wrong with a bit of a telling off?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Woods Wanderer said:
bring back the noose why should the tax payer pay to keep these people alive in prison (mod let me know if this message is against the rules)

Errrrr, although I don't really condone trophy killing I think that putting the culprits to death for it "may just" be a tad harsh ;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
OK guys, calm down. What happened was wrong and I hope they catch them but this isn’t the place to discuss the hanging of people, capital punishment and other very strong statements. None of are happy with reading about these things but some of the conversation that’s gone on afterwards is over the top.

Keep it calm.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
QUOTE [Errrrr, although I don't really condone trophy killing I think that putting the culprits to death for it "may just" be a tad harsh]

I agree. Killing for what seems such a pathetic reason, trophy parts, is gruesome, but humans have hunted for millenia. Our present society finds much of that type of behaviour repugant but still refrains from executing even those who murder humans.
On a more worrying note, there is considerable evidence that those abuse and assault animals are more likely to do so to children, too.

The real problem is that the GBP get two very different things muddled; hunting for food or sport, and abuse of animals and children.

The question we ought to be asking is, I suspect, about how can our society be better informed about our natural world, it's wildlife and our place within it. A greater awareness and rational understanding of the production methods of the food we eat would help too.

Cheers,
Toddy

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
NickBristol said:
[...]
Hopefully the deer wasn't a practice run before moving up a level to some poor innocent.
[...]

Entirely mindful of the fact that not everyone will agree, and that this is wholly subjective, but I think that the death of a poor innocent has already happened.

:(

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
No matter where you go in the UK theres always someone who takes sadistic pleasure in this type of activity. Being out and about in the countryside myself see similiar things done to our wildlfe quite a lot, usually rabbits and squirrels, and no matter what your standpoint, hunter or hugger, it just shows the darker side of our very fragile society.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
He!!s Bells, this kind of thing is always going to be an emotive issue. I hadn,t considered all the feelings of others.

I just felt disgusted with it, thats all, for reasons I just find hard to give name to.

,Wish I,d not raised it.

Ploddy , ell. :(

Ceeg

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Your always going to get a response on this platform because which ever way you look at it, we're all here because we love being out amongst the wild things, wether we fully engage with it as hunters, conservators or just watchers. I wouldn't worry, it's important to know whats going on, we can all look after our own patch then, yeah :)

Mark

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yup, its certainly a shame to waist an innocent life.
As lurch said tho, if I was dealing with a deer, then i would gut and probably skin it at which point i'd remove the head and feet at the ankle. Then joint it up and bag it for the freezer.
If it was a carcass bagged in a stream to keep cool, they were halfway there.
Deer are heavy to carry over a distance, so i assume they would come back for it, with a vehicle parked closer. A deer would provide about a months meat for a family assuming that is why they were poaching it.

Just a different way of looking at it. Without the emotional responce. I have known poachers, not barbarians, just putting food on the table from the surrounding coutryside. This is the one for the pot poacher. not the sort in it for profit or carnage.

just my 2ps worth

Rich

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Woods Wanderer, yeah, I think you were a bit over the top there. If I had seen your post first I probably would have removed it.

Having read through all this I can't see what all the fuss is about, beyond poaching deer, and the use of a firearm where you have no permission, being illegal.

Based on the tiny amount of information posted here, it is impossible to tell whether the deer was killed for hooves and antlers, but a Roe has very little of either, and I cannot think of a single reason to bag the animal unless you planned to return for the meat.

Some of you need to take a step back and a deep breath before you get all worked up based on so little information. Save your indignation and outrage for news articles about mutilated horses or something. There is nothing in Seagull's post to suggest that this was any more cruel (and it was possibly less so) than a motorist hitting a deer and having it run off with a smashed leg.

High emotion and hot words are how we end up with ever more repressive and restrictive laws. It doesn't mean that anything becomes any more just! :nono:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE