Off to Gambia in October, any insect advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

Stickle

I'm off to the Gambia in October to do some charity work at an hospital 200 miles up river. Has anyone got any tips/advice on living in west Africa, which will make the stay more comfortable? Cheers.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As someone who has been watching his white blood cell count and platelet count drop daily for the past few days and watching his skin hemorraghing, not to mention the other nuisances of dengue fever, I recommend that you wear long shirts and trousers and apply the DEET and sleep under a net if there are significant risks of arboviruses in the area,

It is no fun at all to be stricken with a tropical fever.

Have fun

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Keep covered up, especially at dawn and dusk, use lots of DEET (on your clothing not skin!) use a mozzie net and remember the b*st*rds cannot bite through 2 layers of woven fabric... though you could cook wearing 2 layers.....
John

S

Stickle

Thanks Mike, that's one in the list of ten, I'll have more perforations than your average tea bag by the time I go! Still better safe etc.

S

Stickle

Ouch! Will be sleeping under at least one net in what are essentially white thermals. White on the advice of a work mate who spent a couple of years in Mali, so you can see what's breached your defences.
Hope the counts start rising soon. Cheers.

S

Stickle

I can see cooking at night being on the cards irrespective of the amount of clothing, still this is the main event not a rehearsal.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Research anti malarial treatments well before you go, some need to be taken a month or so before you travel, same with jabs that are required it takes time to get them all in! I personally wouldn't use Lariam again:argue: , I didn't like the side effects and there are other things to take, which I don't have any experience of, but others on here might?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use Doxycyclone(sp) as an anti malarial for most areas.
I get no side effects (though super sensitivity so sun can be a problem that some get with it) and it being an antibiotic it clears up your acne as well!

S

Stickle

Hi Goose & John, thanks for the replies. I'm suffering half page syndrome so I can't read all the message! Oh there it is, Doxycyclone seems to be worth looking at, but off to the docs on Thursday so hopefully more light will be shed on the subject. Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE