Oddity shotgun question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay guys, a weird shotgun "feature" I have never encountered before.

A little back story. We picked up a cheap 12 bore over and under for my wife a couple of weeks back

Winchester model 99 O/U by British Red, on Flickr

Winchester model 99 broken by British Red, on Flickr

The gun is a Winchester model 99

Winchester model 99 by British Red, on Flickr

It is, as you can see, a double trigger

Winchester model 99 double trigger by British Red, on Flickr

So far, so normal. Cheap, fixed choke double trigger game gun.

Here is the weird thing - which only came to light after my wife and I went clay breaking. The rear trigger fires the top barrel.

The front trigger fires the bottom barrel and then on a second pull the top barrel.

There is no selector for the front trigger - it always fires the bottom barrel first, the rear trigger only ever fires the top barrel. In effect its a sort of odd hybrid between a double trigger and a selectable single trigger.

Anyone ever encountered anything like it?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That is bizzare, how is it otherwise?

Bores are nice and bright, locks up tight. Fixed chokes (1/4 and 1/2), selective ejector, 28" barrels. Ideal rough shooting or basic clay gun - for £200 including some cheap shells, I'd buy another one tomorrow.

When I shoot it though, there is frequently a clay shaped hole in the shot pattern - no other way of explaining the lack of clay dust in the air is there? This does seem to be a feature of all our guns on occasions though :)

Last edited:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
could it be a broken trigger assembly some how, maybe it jumps because of the first shot????? if it is supposed to be like it then its very well worth holding onto, because i have never heard of it either, could be worth some wonger to a collector....????

nice gun though, as you say nice and neat, clean lines, great game gun...:) go Fi go...goodjob:notworthy

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just guessing but if both barrels are loaded with the same, then using one trigger for both makes sense but if you have the top barrel loaded differently (or even with a rifle conversion tube thing) then you have the option to fire that one independently...?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It certainly makes sense to be able to choose barrel spandit - hence the selector on most single trigger guns (also allows to select the choke you want to use even if using the same load). Its just really odd to have a double trigger gun where one trigger fires both barrels in sequence - they are normally one trigger to one barrel.

I'm pretty sure its intentional Chris, it doesn't release both barrels (which I have seen), it has to be released between shots and it fires each crisply and consistently.

Weird huh?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
From someone who knows nothing it makes sense for it to be like your new gun - allows a quick second shot without taking finger off the trigger. Can't find any information online about the Model 99 either, very strange

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
My dad had a gun like that years ago, a side by side. If I remember right it was a Baikal. It was definitely Russian.
That was back in the 60's/70's.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm finding conflicting data online regarding the model 99. One article describes the gun you have (but doesn't go into trrigger detail) Another describes it as a SBS coach gun with exposed hammers.

Apparently you did get a good price though; the latest price I can find here (online) is $450 back in 2006.

I've never seen one (or any gun with a trigger system such as that. But it does seem like the logical firing sequence; more open choke first and more closed one next as the target gets farther away.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks sanatman - can you provide a link to the article that describes the O/U model 99 please?

TIA

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It might be worth writing directly to Winchester. I once sent them a letter requesting info on Grandaddy's model 12 that I'd inherited. They sent me a fairly comprehensive history of the model from it's introduction in 1912 until it's decommissioning in the 1950s.

They could conceivably even supply you with a copy of the owner's manual. Here's a loink to their site: www.winchesterguns.com And here's the contact info (sorry I can't find a mailing address but there are phone numbers)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"How can I contact Winchester?
Before you contact us with a question or comment, please take the time to look over our Questions and Answers section and see if the answer resides there or use the search function at the top of the page to try and locate the information you are looking for.
All other Winchester products: Most ammunition questions can be answered by visiting Winchester Ammunition's website. Their website is located at: www.winchester.com
Firearm Information: If your question hasn't been answered in the Frequently Asked Questions and it is a question about manuals, catalogs, & products please call our Consumer Department directly at: 800.333.3288 or 801.876.2711 & for Parts & Service call: 800.322.4626
Web Information: If your question is in regards to the Internet site itself, send an e-mail to: webmaster@winchester-guns.com
Winchester Repeating Arms is always pleased to receive your comments and suggestions about the products and services we provide. However, any information you provide through this website, letters, telephone calls, any Winchester Repeating Arms e-mail address or any other means whatsoever, including but not limited to ideas, suggestions, notes, drawings, concepts or other information, will be considered non-confidential and the property of Winchester Repeating Arms. Winchester Repeating Arms may use any and all submissions without restriction."

timbox

Feb 2, 2012
worthing
This is not unique to this gun, Laurona also made a gun with the same set up. Both very well made and reliable you had a good buy!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the info Santaman - its clearly an oddball as I have been through the available manuals and there isn't one available online. It doesn't stress me hugely - its a cheap gun for some practice on clays and some game use. For the money, I have no complaints - its just a curiosity about the trigger set up really - it works well, so all is good!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is not unique to this gun, Laurona also made a gun with the same set up. Both very well made and reliable you had a good buy!

Cheers - its no fancy new silver pigeon - but I can miss just as well with this one for less money. I suspect our money would be better spent buying extra cartridges and practicing than on a fancy new gun!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE