Oak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I have aquired a large amount of oak in the form of trunks and branches averaging 4 inches thick and 3 foot long to 10 inces wide and 5 foot long.

I know you can use oak for bowls, but can you eat out of it? I'm thinking of making some kuksas, spoons and the like.

It's not stolen before anyone gets on their soapbox :p the council butchered an oak tree down the road and the "tree surgeons (i've laughed less!) couldn't be bothered to shred it or cart it away so i did :)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I know oak can taint food - so while i would use it i wouldnt do any cooking type spoons and perhapse bear it in mind for the use of the bowls. It will also 'eat' your chissels which i believe should be washed after being used on green oak or the edge gets damaged (if others can confirm this?)

Obviously I dont know about this location but its worth remembering that sometimes removed limbs are left on site for habitat piles and to improve biodivesity as a long term measure, (our management in the UK has been to tidy for in many areas and the lack of dead and rotting wood is noticable and actively being rectified )- if it was an open park situation this may be less likely, but I have had a few of mine dissapear which is rather annoying...

Oh nails - oak makes great wooden nails and remember to keep some for splitting and tool wedges too!

:)

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
It wasn't left for biodiversity, just dumped and i asked before hand. Wasn't a park or even somewhere where it would add to the biodiversity, just a green on an estate and from a tree they'd delimbed because of the winds and the affect it was having on 3 phone lines.
Ta for the tips.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I didnt really think it would have been - but it does happen and sometimes its best to make sure. Which you did so good scavenge!

I will keep an eye on here as i have semi green oak bits that come up which i would like novel things to make out of too! Ideally with an axe/knife and chisel/gouge!

Let us know how you get on

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Will do. It's under a tarp at the minute drying out thanks to the downpour we had last night. Some choice bits there and a wealth of ideas cropping up to use it for

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It is fine for food use. It has tanin (tanic acid) in it which tastes mildly like vinegar but quickly washes away. Tea also has tanin in and the tanin is what wine and whiskey makers want when they put their raw product in an oak cask.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
It is fine for food use. It has tanin (tanic acid) in it which tastes mildly like vinegar but quickly washes away. Tea also has tanin in and the tanin is what wine and whiskey makers want when they put their raw product in an oak cask.

Robin I believe that wine and whiskey makers burn the inside of oak casks to charcole the insides so that the charcole removes the bite and makes the whiskey smoother.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE