Oak... lots and lots of oak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
I got an email the other day from the ranger at the Dams to Darnley country park on the south side of Glasgow, telling me a large oak tree had come down in the recent storms, blocking a road and taking out power and telephone lines.
Last autumn I asked the rangers if they were ever felling trees to let me know if there was any unwanted timber I could have for carving projects, and ranger Joe was good to his word (as was his colleague Eilidh a couple of weeks ago - the hazel is seasoning in the shed!).
The tree is massive and looks at least 50 years old from the number of rings on the main trunk: What a tragedy it should end this way.
But then again, one tree's misfortune is my good fortune and here's what I've spent the whole day collecting:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A lot of heavy duty logs have been cut and left at the roadside (top end of Corselet Road), and there are a huge number of limbs on either side of the road.
So, if any forum members live close by and want to get their hands on some lovely timber before the elements get at it, I suggest having a scoot down there ASAP.
I just wish I had a pickup truck to cart away more - and oh for a petrol-powered chainsaw!
Doesn't it go to show that if you ask nicely and politely, people are often willing to help you out? I'm indebted to Joe Connelly and Eilidh Milne from East Renfrewshire Council for his kind invitation to help myself.
Now all I need to do is decide what to do with it all. I'm thinking a bread board, some bowls, some spoons/spatulas... anyone got any other ideas?
Steve

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Nice one..............If you don't already have a chopping block one of those larger logs would make a gooden,...also I believe I can see a small kuska waiting to be liberated from the top of the log furthest to the right. ( next to the axe)

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Nice one..............If you don't already have a chopping block one of those larger logs would make a gooden,...also I believe I can see a small kuska waiting to be liberated from the top of the log furthest to the right. ( next to the axe)

That's exactly what I had in mind for the two thicker stumps - a chopping block and somewhere to park my ample behind while I work!
And now I look again, I think you're right about the kuksa. I got a couple of other smaller pieces later this afternoon, one of which is crying out to be a wide serving spoon - I did some prep work on the spot with my axe, now I just need it to dry out a touch before I get to work with the knife.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
As my dad said following the recent storms: "It's an ill wind that blows nobody no good."

We had an apple tree down each in our garden and the 2 next door neighbours. Plenty to be carving on with, but of course a shame about the trees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE