Oak before the ash, you'll only get a splash....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Noticed the oaks are in leaf before the ash trees, this year, does this mean, we are in for a dry year, as per the old tale.......
Ash before the oak, your bound to get a soak
Oak before the ash, you'll only get a splash....

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Mmm......heard that one all my life but can't ever recall the Ash out before the Oak (though that could just be down to poor observation on my part, particularly in earlier years). Could this be more down to plant genetics....??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, interesting. My oak tree is *just* breaking bud now but everything else is out. I'm going to watch this one......can we bring this thread back up in about six months time?

cheers,
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Will try to remember Toddy...
Here are a couple of the oaks outside the front of my house today, well on their way...
DSC00307Small.jpg

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
I've kept an eye on this for the last couple of years, but I've never seen a conclusive link between the "tree species race" and the subsequent weather. Currently in one part of my stomping grounds there are ash trees in three stages of bud burst, while less than 200m away, no ash are even looking like getting started. Similar with the oak trees. Now, in fairness, we are looking at knee-high, waist high, head-high ash and oak, and full size ash. I wonder if the tree size also has a bearing (small trees out early, large ones later?)

Mal

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
Same down here in Torbay, the Oak is well in the Lead, but I have to say on the Ash front, out of my front door, not one Ash is at the same level of leaf as another !! Could be to do with the water flow in and around the trees

Basha72

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE