Nylon twine vs paracord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Don't get me wrong. Genuine 550 test paracord is good stuff, but I have a few problems with the stuff. Firstly, I almost never use it as the full kerrnmantle. It's too wasteful. Say I'm rigging a tarp line or a shelter, I'll usually use 2-3 lengths of the inner nylon twine. When I'm rigging a snare or fishing for eel, I'll use a single strand. The problem is that when I split the cord I end up with odd-lengths of twine and a spare kerrnmantle shell and the resulting lengths need to be hanked.

The other day I came across a reel of Nylon 210/15, which looks identical to the stuff inside a paracord. It came in a continuous dense compact reel, weighs just over 100g and cost only a pound and a half. Now I can just cut off as much as I need without worrying so much how I am reducing my maximum useable length.

So it's:
  • Cheaper
  • Lighter
  • Longer
  • Less time consuming
  • Packed more densely
  • Less wasteful

Remind me again why we need paracord?

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Leaning against an open door with me on that one.
I have a range of commercial fishing twines - mostly braided polyethene, so not as strong as nylon for a give diameter, but at £3 a kilo who cares. You can even eye-spice the larger diameters by inserting a bare end into the core of the braid.

I agree that paracord ios an absolute rip off for what you get. Big deal you can use the inners as thread or fishing line or for snares...in the UK I'm unlikely ever to be in need of an alternative to the real line/snare/thread.

Paracord is bulky, not ideal for many knots and is just a tad way too expensive. I like your stuff Bod, if you can get that in earth colours It would be ideal. I have a roll of MOD coms cord which is 2-3mm thick and way stronger than paracord, lighter, less bulky and ties knots easier. The only problem is that it's like hens teeth to get a hold of.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I agree that paracord ios an absolute rip off for what you get. Big deal you can use the inners as thread or fishing line or for snares...in the UK I'm unlikely ever to be in need of an alternative to the real line/snare/thread.

Paracord is bulky, not ideal for many knots and is just a tad way too expensive. I like your stuff Bod, if you can get that in earth colours It would be ideal. I have a roll of MOD coms cord which is 2-3mm thick and way stronger than paracord, lighter, less bulky and ties knots easier. The only problem is that it's like hens teeth to get a hold of.

I got some from RVops not so long ago ...

http://www.rvops.co.uk/field-kit-81/essentials-20/comms-cord-30m-1203.html

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I starrted out with loads of proper paracord, i now have just about enough for a ridge line and loads of off cuts. I use anything i can get my hands on now including the white nylon stuff which is great. One thing i will give paracord is its easy to undo knots when they have gone a little astray.
I suppose if your a bit of a kit monkey and dont like chopping bits of paracord off to help yer bum mates out when they forget to bring any then you can keep it in good order....

Anyone need any 4inch long bits of paracord ? :rolleyes:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
A little off topic but I've just bought a 50ft length of paracord to string up my poncho as a tarp, but I want to be able to use the same length for other things so I don't want to cut it too short, os my question is what lengths should I cut the cord up into?

I guess it's like asking "how long is a peice of string" but I'm hoping someone could offer some suggestions :)

Thanks,
Asa.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest paracord is overkill for my needs. All I normally need cord for is rigging up a tarp/shelter so have gone back to using guy line like this

Guy line

I've still got a lot of paracord about the place but guy line is all I take along these days. Easily strong enough for my needs, lighter in weight and packs away small. I did mention this line before but a couple of people snapped at me like I'd broken some major law of the land:lmao: I've had two lots from this seller its good stuff, if anyone can find a cheaper source please let me know I want about 200 metres for a project I have in mind. This seller also offers different colours.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
its nylon which makes it very strechy compared to polyester and many other materials. imo its very overrated but its always used because its another survival/bushcraft fashion.

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE