Nutshells

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
I wish to pick the collective knowledge here, A friend of mine works for the Scout association and they were asked the other day :-
"The original enquiry was if we knew how to cook on walnuts/ almonds,
and we assumed they meant using the nuts as a fuel. The lady had heard
that you could cook pancakes over them although we have no idea how that could work."
Does anyone have any ideas please?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Nuts do tend to have a very high calorific value... alot of energy in there... and do make good fuel.... even the humble almond will burn for ages... you can even improvise candles out of them ;)

I'd guess she was talking about using them as fuel as you thought... and I'd agree... good fuel if you have nothing else readily available..... though eating them will probably give you more energy than cooking a pancake over them and eating that.

Long time no hear from Taz.... Glad to see you are still about:D

:)
Ed

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I've 'lit' nuts before if its any help!?

almonds are particylarly good - just shave a little off the 'blunt' end so it will stand up then light the point. It burns kinda like a smokey (and smelly) candle

enough and i'm sure you could cook (albeit a small) pancake over some

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have heard of this, the pancake it cooks is about the size of a fifty pence piece! More of a party trick than being properly useful. Along the lines of cooking pancakes with a candle on an upturned tin.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
g4ghb said:
I've 'lit' nuts before if its any help!?

almonds are particylarly good - just shave a little off the 'blunt' end so it will stand up then light the point. It burns kinda like a smokey (and smelly) candle

enough and i'm sure you could cook (albeit a small) pancake over some
Same here,
But with Brazil nuts, they burn with a small, clean flame - no smoke at all. Used to be used as Christmas Lights, I believe, lined up on a window sill - though with the advent of mesh curtains and plastic sills, probably not the best idea for the modern home!

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE