Now, THIS 'torch' is literally a torch, no matches needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Why use matches, firetools, or lighters when you can just shine your flashlight on it? Anyone who's ever started a fire with friction or flint needs to take a look at this.

Evidently this is one of the custom, high powered flashlights the flashlight gurus on the Candlepower forums are putting together. It's essentially a customized MagLight with a custom battery pack, a high current switch, a metal reflector, a 12V hi cap 100 watt, tungsten halogen bulb being overdriven to over 14V. The light draws 140 watts and puts out 4000 lumens. This is about 80x the lumen output of a 2D cell MagLight. The flashlight can start paper on fire like a match and it can blind any attacker.

This video shows a man starting a fire just by shining his flashlight on some newspaper.

http://www.break.com/index/super_high_powered_flash_light.html

http://extreme-geek.blogspot.com/

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Shambling Shaman said:
I find that hard to belive?

I don't...having done photography most of my life and used tungsten lights in the past they get really really hot. A concentrated beam at that range would IMO be able to get paper going.
Although the possibility exists that an accelerant was used on the paper ;)

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
ArkAngel said:
I don't...having done photography most of my life and used tungsten lights in the past they get really really hot. A concentrated beam at that range would IMO be able to get paper going.

very true.... :eek: I once set fire to my hair by standing too close.... :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
ArkAngel said:

All lights get hot - but a hand tourch if it was to go on in your Ruk????

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Very impressing. But how practical would it be? I mean, the batteries can't last that long, and will it set wet material on fire to? I think me sticks to the matches+firesteel.

(I had a separate battery canister diving torch once, it didn't ignite anything but it melted the hand unit and the carpet and seats in the car when it got switched on by accident.)

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
After starting a zillion campfires, I thought it was neat just watching some guy start a fire with a flashlight.

However, it did occur to me one practical application for you folks in the UK. Since the government frowns on you carrying things for defense, like say, a handy little 9mm automatic, an innocent looking flashlight that literally has the power to blind some hooligan who's trying to do wrong upon you could be a handy thing to have. Do you know what 4000 lumens can do to a pair of retinas? Quick, fast, no marks, just shine it in their face (you don't even have to be that close), and then walk away leaving them with other, more pressing concerns on their minds. They can't pursue you when they are blind, or, at the very least, seeing nothing but spots.

I know that you have all sorts of odd laws about knives and guns, but do you have laws against flashlights yet?

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
mrostov said:
After starting a zillion campfires, I thought it was neat just watching some guy start a fire with a flashlight.

However, it did occur to me one practical application for you folks in the UK. Since the government frowns on you carrying things for defense, like say, a handy little 9mm automatic, an innocent looking flashlight that literally has the power to blind some hooligan who's trying to do wrong upon you could be a handy thing to have. Do you know what 4000 lumens can do to a pair of retinas? Quick, fast, no marks, just shine it in their face (you don't even have to be that close), and then walk away leaving them with other, more pressing concerns on their minds. They can't pursue you when they are blind, or, at the very least, seeing nothing but spots.

I know that you have all sorts of odd laws about knives and guns, but do you have laws against flashlights yet?

Dont' give them idea's :D

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
The Torch has been mentioned on BB and was built buy a person on candle power forums

It uses short fat batteries which can handle high drain situations and have a 1400mah and it draws ten amps so lasts about 8minutes. You could use teh same torch with a more sensible power bulb for quite a while, my bike lights drive 12volt bulbs to just under 15volts giving about 900bulb lumens for 2.5hours

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
mrostov said:

The police were working on a flash light that pulses really brightly at a certain frequency that disorientates the criminal to the best extent. Kinda like a Light tazer although maybe not that extreme. But yeah, burning their retinas is also going to work although can't see the police employing that one on mass :rolleyes:

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
CheeseMonster said:
The police were working on a flash light that pulses really brightly at a certain frequency that disorientates the criminal to the best extent. Kinda like a Light tazer although maybe not that extreme. But yeah, burning their retinas is also going to work although can't see the police employing that one on mass :rolleyes:

Are you thinking about the nite ops gladius?

M

mikehill

CheeseMonster said:
Not sure which one you mean, but the Gladius is already available to all. Not sure if the police will adopt it though. If it can cause an epileptic fit then I would imagine a lot of claims being filed. The way things are going, if I was to shine my M6 in someones eyes, even in self-defence, I would imagine the courts taking a dim view of it :rolleyes:
Mike.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE