Now THATS a flint!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bushbaby and I count ourselves very privleged to have have the whole day with John Lord today. We both learned so much and John and Val are just the nicest people - they welcomed us into their home and made a really special day for us (Val bakes a greaqt scone too! :) ).

I'll do a "mini review" at some point (trust me it'll just say "do it" in lots of words and pictures), but I thought I would give you a taster of real hardcore flint knapping!

840119449_237530f354_o.jpg

Now thats a flint!

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wow, let me guess.......
John heard about your Axe fetish and made you a stoneage double bit:D
Just a single bit SB! I have it beside me - and lovely it is too!

Oh Phil - its amazingly impressive - its a coracle above his head he made from a single ox hide!

And Spam - I'll make you a few if you remind me next week

Red

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
A spare bit for a traditional fire steel?

LOL

Anyone who knapps flint has LOTS of spare bits laying about everywhere.

It's amazing how much "gravel" you make for each finished piece.

I know of a guy who ends up with most of a dozen 5 gallon buckets of "gravel" every time he cleans up his work room in the basement. And he cleans it up several times a year!

I've done just enough flint knapping to know that I prefer blacksmithing! Even in this heat wave!

I've seen flint nodules that size before. And, until you bust them open, they just look like another big rock. A bit of training really helps you notice which rocks to look for.

The wonder is still there when I watch someone turn a rock into a tool with a few well-placed blows of another rock. And doing it yourself is really satisfying.

Mikey - more humble ramblings from the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE