Not got a tripod for your cooking pot??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

mjk3k

looks like a grate book .. i think i will add it to my birthday list :)

I have a book which I obtained as a teenager, which has some useful tips on basic bushcraft. It may surprise you - it's the Girl Guide Handbook.

Sadly, in this nanny society, I suspect that today's Girl Guides aren't allowed to get away with the same sort of stuff as we did in the early 80s - camping without adult supervision, cooking on open fires we built ourselves and lit using bows rather than matches (you ain't been to Guide camp if you ain't eaten burnt grass;)) and getting soaked in rivers when falling off rafts built out of sticks and string, or slinging up rope bridges :D

Ahh, those were they days... nostalgia just ain't what it used to be, you know.

I've just had a look at the Guides' website and it's really dumbed down now :(

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Womble_Lancs said:
I have a book which I obtained as a teenager, which has some useful tips on basic bushcraft. It may surprise you - it's the Girl Guide Handbook.

Sadly, in this nanny society, I suspect that today's Girl Guides aren't allowed to get away with the same sort of stuff as we did in the early 80s - camping without adult supervision, cooking on open fires we built ourselves and lit using bows rather than matches (you ain't been to Guide camp if you ain't eaten burnt grass;)) and getting soaked in rivers when falling off rafts built out of sticks and string, or slinging up rope bridges :D

Ahh, those were they days... nostalgia just ain't what it used to be, you know.

I've just had a look at the Guides' website and it's really dumbed down now :(
Ahh yes... The heady joys of "risk assessment" :(

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Womble_Lancs said:

Two of my all time favourite books were the Scout Handbook and Patrol Leaders Handbook which came out around 1967, they were fantasically well put together and made you really want to try everything out.

I managed to get a pair a few years back and they are just as good as I remeber them, maybe even better and when compared to the £10 brightly coloured dumbed down filoifax that replaced it a few ears back!

By comparison to Girguiding UK our two websites www.scoubase.org.uk and www.scouts.org.uk are pretty good and a fantastic resource for leaders just about everything we need is available to download and the new programmes-on-line facility has made running a troop/unit much easier.

Its no wonder that our numbers have started to rise again over the past few years, and in Kent we have almost back to where we were 10 years ago!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE