Not got a tripod for your cooking pot??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Why not try using "A CRANE!!"

Not as daft as it sounds, the Vic Aures crane is a dead simple device using a forked sapling and a stick hammered into the ground. You can slide the crane up and down for varying heat control, and simply swing it out of the way when you're done cooking. Pic below.........

vicscrane7rx.jpg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Abbe Osram said:
Are all pictures so good? I seldom found so good a clear pictures.
How is the book otherwise?

cheers
Abbe
Absolutely great The pics are fine... See below for a couple more..

The Front Cover
1cover5kg.jpg

Axe & Knife Sheath making
1axes0nf.jpg

Bowdrill
1firedrill8jj.jpg

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Looks like a good book.

Would like to see a picture of somebody trying to make one of these! I will try it.

Seems like the biggest problem might lie in a secure lashing so that the bent bit (end of the horozontal stick, top of the vertical stick) does not unfold.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Biddlesby said:
Looks like a good book.

Would like to see a picture of somebody trying to make one of these! I will try it.

Seems like the biggest problem might lie in a secure lashing so that the bent bit (end of the horozontal stick, top of the vertical stick) does not unfold.

I think you're right... Maybe stick it first with some pine resin or something...

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Lots of great stuff in that book! :cool: If the stick is a little too inflexible to bend around, you can lash a green branch to it like the potholder in the photo below on the left.

blackbeans1e.jpg

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
dave can you repost the picture please i can't see it just getting an x and the right click thing won't bring it up either.

neet trick with the lashing the two sticks together for pot hangers.

we lean a stick over the fire and hang the pot from the end for a boil up in the woods quick and easy.

dean

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
longshot said:
dave can you repost the picture please i can't see it just getting an x and the right click thing won't bring it up either.

neet trick with the lashing the two sticks together for pot hangers.

we lean a stick over the fire and hang the pot from the end for a boil up in the woods quick and easy.

dean

Hmm dunno what happened there.... It's back though ;)

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
weird but it's working now

thats what i was figuring you were talking about i've see something like this in the SAS Survival Handbook. i've never used one but looks like a neat gadget for in the camp.

dean

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I have some of those images but in different books, inc the hunters fire and stick but they are much clearer than mine. A lot of the older scout stuff(The older the better, I have some post war stuff, that has those sort of ideas) has lots of those sorts of things.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
We have a couple of these that are used regularly. I found that when making them use as wide a fork stick as possible. It make the crane more stable on the support. Also the crane tends to slip without the weight of a pot to provide the pivot action required.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE