not bushy but some pics from recent Orkney trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I know this isn't very Bushcrafty, but thought i'd post a couple of pics from our recent Orkney trip. Were so lucky to see Orca every day, Short eared owls and Puffin. Closer to BCUK home, Skara Brea is truely a magical place (5000 yr old wimpy housing estate).
Orkney really is a place worth visiting, although my good lady tore all her foot ligaments on day 1 (Kirkwell A&E is amazing), so we were limited. The history, ancient and modern (WW2), the wildlife, the scenery and the people are all fantastic.Skara Brea.jpg

short ear owl 2.JPGorca 1.JPGorca 2.JPGpuffin 1.JPGpuffin 3.JPG

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think Mesquite hit the nail on the head :)

Lovely photos, what a range of things to see.
Sorry to hear about the Missus' foot though; that was a blight of a thing to happen day 1.
I hope it heals quickly.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Thanks guys. Yup, Annas foot did slow us down, but it probably wasn't a bad thing as just sitting in various beauty spots allowed us to see so much more.
As an aside, if anyone does fancy a visit to Skara Brea, make sure you check when the cruise ships are in and time your visit accordingly. We were lucky as we went late so all the ship monkeys were back on board for the evening bingo :rolleyes:.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Ah amazing! I'm a fair bit jealous of your Orca sightings I'm not gonna lie! Sounds like you had a blast. Something about the Scottish Islands. Seems the further out you go the better it gets!

I'm recently back from a trip through the outer hebrides myself, we were going to check out the bronze age house but it was closed unfortunately :( we did checkout the blackhouse though.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I know this isn't very Bushcrafty, but thought i'd post a couple of pics from our recent Orkney trip. Were so lucky to see Orca every day, Short eared owls and Puffin. Closer to BCUK home, Skara Brea is truely a magical place (5000 yr old wimpy housing estate).
Orkney really is a place worth visiting, although my good lady tore all her foot ligaments on day 1 (Kirkwell A&E is amazing), so we were limited. The history, ancient and modern (WW2), the wildlife, the scenery and the people are all fantastic.View attachment 74895

View attachment 74890View attachment 74891View attachment 74892View attachment 74893View attachment 74894
Amazing, thanks for sharing!

Shame about the foot, but sometimes you need an excuse to allow yourself to slow down and just absorb a place.

How does it work with the ferry? Do you have to book ages in advance or is it just a case of showing up?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
We pre booked the car ferry from gills Bay to St Margaret's, but there is also one from Scrabster to Stromness, similar sailing times. There is also a passenger only ferry from John ogroats to the bottom of South ronaldsea. I'd probably pre book to be safe as the ferries seemed pretty busy.

Reactions: SaraR

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It sounds like a great trip - I too highly rate Kirkwall hospital, having spent a night there... I love Orkney and intend revisiting it ASAP. Stromness Museum is fantastic but is private and there is an entry charge...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE