Not bad for a evenings work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Inspired by the meetup and all the wonderful knives on show, and Peters (Espy) forging demo. I decided to attack the piece of 01 steel i bought a while ago and make myself a knife. So last night after work i got the hacksaw out and set to :
152KNIFEBLANK.jpg

152Knifeblank2.jpg

A few flat spots but basically its there shape wise.
Got to put a bevel on it some how, sounds like i score a centre line to work to, but no idea how I set 30 degrees ?

For an interrupted evenings work I'm well chuffed :p
Thanks for the inspiration guys

Rich

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Use trig, Rich. Sorry...

Maths break:

You know the width of the steel. Divide it by 2. Call it "o".
You know the angle you want as an included angle - 15 degrees per side (for 30 degrees total).
You want to know the height of the line to file to from the edge - call it "a"

You may or may not recall that the tangent of an angle is equal to the opposite/the adjacent? Therefore, to calculate the height of the grind, you use

a=o/tan 15

So for 4mm steel => o=2; you want a grind height of 7.5ish mm. Take the grind height to about 11mm, and you have an included angle of about 20 degrees (and so on and so forth).

Alternatively, just get it hot and hit it :D

Oh yes - and I like to use masking tape to cover the areas I don't want to file. You'll scuff that before you do in the steel, but replace it as soon as you do scuff it (unless of course, you're up against some sort of insane self-imposed deadline...)

HTH

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Triganom . triganam .... . oh bugger ... use the force :wink: .

are you wanting 30 degrees either side? . seems a bit steep ...half the thickness of the steel multiplied by 3 away from the edge,

or inclusive; full thickness of the steel x 3 away from the edge and take the grind to the middle, possibly a bit thin

single side bevel; full thickness x 3 on one side only take the grind to the opposite side of the edge

Right angle is 90 so 1 over 3 gives you 30 degrees

oh and a nice graceful shape Rich :biggthump

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
If you can get such a great shape, I'm sure you will grind in that edge more than perfect.

Nice work!

-Emile

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
It looks like a really nice shape and size. It'd be great if you could run a series of your progress so we can see it develop and your thoughts and decisions.

On a side note, in a few knives time, I may be badgering you for a commission :naughty:

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
had another peek, Rich . and been wondering what kind of transition you are thinking of using from ricasso to bevel ... the flow of the blade looks like it would be good with a nice radiused transition

N

narsil

If you make the width of the bevel twice the thickness of the blade then you will have an angle of 30deg, eg for 5m thick steel the bevel should be 10mm wide. 30deg will give you a strong and sharp skandi grind, although you can make this angle smaller if you wish to improve cutting performance at the expense of weakening the blade.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Pay attention to What Chris said ... ignore completely what i said ... my maths sucks ..... that's why I use the force :wink: .. if you asked me what any of the angles are on my knives ... i wouldn't have a clue .. and would probably reply ... the "right" angle :eek:):

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Thanks guys i will try and keep you posted on progress.
Thats a great tip on the bevel angle Narsil, makes life a lot easier.
The intention is to make 2 identical blades and put a different bevel on them to compare how they work and which i prefer.
General - They can certainly come your way for sharpening and your opinion. After all you were one of the folks that inspired me to make em at the meetup. - Long way off yet tho.
Mushi - I dunno what the ricasso is but a radius sounds good ? :oops: is it like the choil
Cheers
Rich

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Rich ... go in to British Blades and ask Harvey :eek:):

ok joking aside, the ricasso is the flat of the blade before the bevel begins, a radiused transition looks like this, top one, obviously ;)

attachment.php

rounded where it begins the bevel instead of a straight plunge. As your edge begins with a rounded shape, I feel that a radiused transition would compliment it

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Nearrrrrly identical...
knifeBlanks3JPG.jpg

Keep the faith brothers and sisters the force is strong in this one.
This is the use the force grind as prescibed by Mushi 1 Kanobi, the force being bench grinder and file, a little to much force me finks. But all will be well
It did prove that idon't want to do the precise single bevel that way, and how nice those becels in Mushi's pic are. :roll:
Onwards

Rich

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Technique;

OK this takes a bit of practice and a little help from a simple jig to set the bevel angle.

but the transition is formed by careful adjustment of the tracking on my belt grinder so that the belt is running about 1/4 " off the platen and plunging the blade down where the transition is, right on that unsupported bit of belt, then dragging through to the point .. finishing was done with a piece of copper pipe or dowel wrapped in silicon carbide paper going progressively down in grit, although the latest technique now uses a bit of flat oak board with a radius routed on one side.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE