Nordic Visit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fjefman

Jun 24, 2007
guildford
Hi there,

Been a casual lurker on this site for a few months but just logged and am now typing my first post. I'm planning a motorcycle trip through the Nordics (north through Finland to Nordkapp, south through Sweden and Norway) in August and was wondering if anybody can give me any tips on places to stay, stuff to see or things to do while I am there. I will be doing some very minimal camping (tarp, sleeping bag) during my visit so I'm sure I will experience the magic of the land.

Any and all guidance appreciated. Thanks,

Jeff

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sorry cant give you any advice Jeff but will be watching this thread as I would like to do a similar trip on my bike. Would be interested in your preparation have you been on the hubb?
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/
Seems like a good site been on there for some time looking for what bike to buy. Less to do with bushcraft and more on he travel front.
Keep me posted good luck Dave

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi there,

Been a casual lurker on this site for a few months but just logged and am now typing my first post. I'm planning a motorcycle trip through the Nordics (north through Finland to Nordkapp, south through Sweden and Norway) in August and was wondering if anybody can give me any tips on places to stay, stuff to see or things to do while I am there. I will be doing some very minimal camping (tarp, sleeping bag) during my visit so I'm sure I will experience the magic of the land.

Any and all guidance appreciated. Thanks,

Jeff

Hi mate,
I had a cabin up here in Gällivare area and sold it to a guy called Fenlander, english bushcrafter. Send him a PM and check with him.
cabin.jpg

Cheers
Abbe

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Abbe,
Good to see that you are still around and checking in once in a while,
Hope things are turning out well for you and your family.

ATB

Ogri the trog

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
you'll need LOTs of mozzie repelant and a good mozzie net or whatever if you are going to sleep out in your tarp. I like to head out to scandinavia in autumn as there is no real bug problem then.
Niall

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Abbe,
Good to see that you are still around and checking in once in a while,
Hope things are turning out well for you and your family.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Thanks mate!
I am now and then checking in here at bcuk, having a look how the old gang is doing. I am more home now with the art forums for landscape artists, as I do a lot off painting.
The bushcraft knowleadge will come in handy when I am staying out in the bush for a longer time, painting landscapes.

Fenlander took over my cabin and I hope he will have a great time being out there in the bush. A beaver family too moved in and took to my old lake. Look what this little buggers can do!

beaver_tree.jpg
[/IMG]

fjefman

Jun 24, 2007
guildford
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the link...done bike 2 trips around Europe so far and that site would certanly have assisted with a lot of my initial questions. For this trip I want to do less of speeding across Europe (last year 14 days, 14 countries and 5.6K miles) and more of enjoying the sights and getting closer to nature...hence the post here. Trying to figure out what wonderful things (lakes, rivers, woods) I should see in north Scandanavia and Finland.

As mentioned in this thread the mosquitos can be quite a problem and this is apparently quite common for areas north of the artic circle (my aunt lives in AK). I've got my mosquito net ready to be deployed. Any other items to consider?

Thanks,

Jeff

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
There is a great mosquito repellent in "Wilmas Nordic Summer". It is a classic homebrew that is available in most Swedish outdoor shops. It looks like shoe polish or leather treatment. It smells like old sausage and tar and it it totally safe to kids.
http://www.getout.se/v2/index.asp?item=4597

Maybe I should drum up a group buy?

Here is a link to places to stay, its hostels and cabins and other different types of accomodation.
It is called "Vandrarhem" in Swedish.
http://www.stfturist.se/ click the UK flag. The price is about £10 a night.

I found the similar for Norway http://www.camping.no/index_eng.html

Good luck and drive carefully :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE