'Noobie' Best places to practice in the South

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi guys and girls,

I have slowly been cultivating an interest in bushcraft over the last six months, reading the books, watching ray etc. Recently, a family friend suprised me with a custom knife, a gransfors axe, a hootichie and hammock, and a sabre backpack in payment for some work I had done for him!

I know offically have no excuses to get out there, one problem where are the best places to go in the south to practice basic bushcraft? In live just shy of the new forest so I guess this would be a good start? It just that everywhere appears to be maintained by the national trust or forestry commision, and as a consequence I am worried about starting fires. I figured that if I made a minimum impact on the environment and cleaned up after myself it should be ok? What do you think?

Also can any of you recomend any other locations that would be suitable around hampshire, sussex?

Thanks for your time,

Buckley

P.S Oh those of you who have done courses in the UK, are they worthwhile? Ideally I would like to take an organised trip to sweden next summer, any ideas?

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi Buckly, and welcome, good to have you along.

Sounds like you received good payment for that work, you've got a good set of kit there.

As for places to practice, you'll get the official line here - get permission from the landowner first. There are a couple of very good reasons for this, firstly if you don't and you get caught in the act then you risk getting the rough end of an angry landowner who probably is well fed up with turfing drunk partying teenagers off his land and will treat you the same way. Secondly, even if you don't get caught at the time, the landowner will probably work out you've been there one way or another and that will greatly reduce the chances of him allowing others who do ask to stay, spoiling it for others and giving bushcraft a bad name. Thirdly, it's illegal!

You should be able to find legitimate places to stay, there are bushcraft friendly campsites out there, and if you search around on here you'll find some (use the search field on the brown toolbar at the top of the page), it's a question that comes up quite regularly and always gets some new answers!

To start you off, have a look at this thread

There are also organised meets arranged at various times & places, one of these might be a good place for you to start as there will be plenty of like-minded people about for you to learn from and chat with. Keep an eye on the Meetups and Social Chatter forum

I've not been on any courses personally, but plenty of people on here have and often write about them, search for 'course' and I'm sure you'll find a fair few reviews.

Have fun, and let us know how you get on.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi Andy,

I have just read what I guess is your review of the Bearclaw Bushcraft's Vildmark course (Andy Noble?), and it sounds fantastic. I am meant to be walking Land's end to John O Groats around that time, but I may have to adjust my schedule if I can get a place on this course. It must have been magic! If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for flights transfers etc?

Cheers,

Buckley

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Yeah thats me...didnt realise it had been put up there. :D LOL Cool.

Theres also an article in the latest "Bushcraft magazine". I'll bring them along if you make it down.

BA Flights were £52 each way to the main oslo airport - Gardemoen and a further £10 i think to get a train into the city. We caught a bus the next day (but it can all be done on the same day if you time it right, a few people did this) over to Arjang in Sweden which cost another £10. So basically travel costs are about £150. Which really is pretty damn cheap to get to such an amazing place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE