Noisy neighbours

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well the wild life is at it again - it sounds like a horror film out there or at least as if the badgers are raping the owls.

Who started it, I'm not sure - it could be a vixen giving birth, the owls mating and getting all territorial or just the badgers partying.

Next time I'll try and record it on my phone. -- can we post sound clips on the forum?

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I bet it sounds great down where you are Ed, i was stood int he back garden at 6 o'clock yesterday morning and it definitely sounded like spring was here.

I'm not sure how to add sound clips but you could do a slide show on p'bucket and then add some sounds to your pics.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
The rooks around my house have been going mental for a while now, and the owls and pheasants have started recently too. They seem to have a half hour shift handover at dawn and dusk, which gives a less than melodic dawn chorus.

Cheers, Michael.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I remember airsofting one frosty february a few years ago and part of the site brief included a section saying don't jump into foxholes on your own the badgers are out in force and they're highly amorous!
didn't know if we were going to get mauled or worse! suffice to say we didn't see any that day tho :D

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I walked into the wood this morning around 7 and the noise from the birds was fantastic. All I could hear were song thrush, robin, blackbird and others and, of course, new borne lambs in the fields below.

Spring has sprung in mid Wales (still a bit cold though).

Cheers,

Broch

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Spring has sprung in mid Wales (still a bit cold though).

We got an inch of snow here yesterday, but spring is on the way. Springing, but not quite fully sprung. Birds are starting to sing, sparrows are doing their thing.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53611

I read this thread the other night and thought, yeah, audio tracks, dial-up friendly. Animal sounds, :cool: . I have no idea how to host audio files but I will sometimes play a track like this one over the intercom at work.
http://www.junglewalk.com/Asounds/cougar4.wav
Good for employee morale. ;) Not sure what the customers think.

I live in town so I've got a few noisy neighbors. Seems to peak about mid summer on Saturday nights. Screaming, gunfire, sirens. Grey noise really; like waves breaking on a beach, but not quite and not quiet.

The neighbors that really put on a late night show is the local dominant street gang, The Raccoons. I am allied with The Raccoons because I like them better than The Feral Cats. Why, how, why do cats make such a noise, so loud at 4 in the morning, why? Get a room, please geez:rolleyes:

The Raccoons whole up, lay low (up above ground level) in "safe houses" for most of the winter. The occasional tracks, but not a peep during the winter months.

Anyway, The Raccoons must be feeling spring fever as much as I and tonight they were out. First time I've heard audible sign since late fall last year.

I would really like to make an audio recording, raccoons make a wide range of sounds. I could not find a sample that truly speaks raccoon. The best I can do at the moment is to offer this lo-tec audio montage:

Open the four following pages in a small window (restore down) . Spread the windows out across your screen so you can hit all the play buttons in succession. Turn the volume all the way up. Imagine you are asleep at 3AM. Now play track1, quick as you can play track2, 3, 4, so they are all playing at once. When you have clicked on track4, click again on track1, 2, 3, 4. Repeat for 30 minutes or so.
http://www.degus.com/sounds/cast1.wav
http://www.kwic.com/~pagodavista/raccoon.wav
http://www.degus.com/sounds/cast1.wav
http://www.kwic.com/~pagodavista/raccoon.wav

EdS

I live in town so I've got a few noisy neighbors. Seems to peak about mid summer on Saturday nights. Screaming, gunfire, sirens. Grey noise really; like waves breaking on a beach, but not quite and not quiet.

[/URL]

Luckily we don't have any neighbours - but ironically, I'm on call for Environmental Health dealing with other folks neighbours form hell.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
...and not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

0000011j.jpg

:dunno: Spring, are you out there? I took these pics a couple of hours ago. Six inches of fresh snow does wonders for the acoustics of a town.

Noisy neighbors (sorry, raised on Webster's) noisy neighbors are not so bad. It's the quiet ones to watch out for. ;)

I go into the hills a fair bit, hang out with the birds, seen a couple of bear but never a big cat. A few years back (here we go :rolleyes: ) a few years back I got a new pair of snowshoes and was dying to use them. A buddy and myself head up to a fourteener in Colorado named Sierra Blanca (Blanca Peak in gringo speak) . Full-on winter blizzard. We snowshoe uphill awhile, with only the packs on our backs and barely forty years of experience at this sort of thing. Amazing day, a real keeper. We camped below the treeline. It stopped snowing and was getting cold as ship. Luckily I had packed two sleeping bags, two sleeping pads, bivy, a tarp/tent thing called a Betamid, and maybe 30 pounds (weight not money :eek: , but come to think of it a tiny fraction of that weight was in dollars, not pounds) 30 pounds of various wizardry in my survival kit, maybe.

In the morning it was bright and clear and colder than the aforementioned ship. I had learned some things that night. Cooking in a tarp/tent thing without proper ventilation at high altitude will make a new Bic lighter seem like an old Bic lighter. And it does the same to your friend's, and your spare and your friend's spare. And that is hysterical at the time. You might think that someone who should know better would know better.

I'm not all that when it comes to tracking but I think I am when there is fresh snow. The tracks of a big cat, circling round your tarp/tent thing are kind of hard to miss actually. Turns out, big cats like to do a little tracking too. This one had cut across our track and was able to discern our direction of travel, possibly having studied snowshoe tracks in the past. Apparently it had trailed us into camp, took one whiff of our cooking and ourselves, and decided it was better to go hungry. Very polite cat, never made a sound.

0000017e.jpg

Think I might hibernate for a couple of days, dream of the jungle.
:christmas1:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE