Night in Jerven Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottishpinz

Dec 30, 2010
Scotland
Ever since I got my Jerven bag I wanted to see what an enforced overnight would be like in terms of warmth and comfort. Well with nothing much happening the next day I headed out into the woods last night. After several hours out I would give the Jerven a big thumbs up. OK it was 9C last night but it was too warm inside the bag rather than cold.

No pictures from the dark of night but from a few lunch stops and use as a photography hide:
30266415142_bfc7176b6d_b.jpg

30085703290_05c9f92ea3_b.jpg

30266415382_baaa979413_b.jpg

29751155133_19855418cd_b.jpg

30266415792_cf89f085d2_b.jpg

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Which jerven do you have?

I've been using an exclusive with 170g liner as a peapod for my hammock, although it hasn't really been cold enough for it yet!

IMG_20160918_070956_zpslwo3y95z.jpg

scottishpinz

Dec 30, 2010
Scotland
I didn't take any photos last night as it was dark by the time I set out. Photos are from previous uses, however I believe there has been snow in the high mountains already!

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Always wanted one for no other reason that my need to buy more stuff. I read waylands thoughts of it as a bivvy (most likely use id have) and he wasn't impressed due to condensation.

The camo pattern is second to none for Scottish hillsides and mountains. I'd like a tarp in a similar camo for camping under. Flectarn is about as close as it gets that Iv seen.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I have the same bag - the kingsize. As a bivi? Well, not completely enclosed/waterproof because of the grommet holes. Outer material is however completely waterproof, so makes a great poncho/blanket in wet conditions., multi-use tarp, even a small insulated tent. True, as a result you will get condensation on the inner layer of the jervensbag, but then in seriously cold conditions, goretex loses any breathability it might have had as well. However, if it is that cold, the frost build-up on the insulation can be brushed or shaken off. In a hot-tent set-up, it will disappear quickly if turned inside out.

first and foremost, however, it is a survival tool. Climb in it, and It will stop you freezing to death. You can even (carefully) use a candle inside it to provide additional heat.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I have the JervenBag Original. It's brilliant and firmly become the only shelter I carry if I'm alone. It's unlined but I like it that way as it packs up very small. I have used it as an overnight shelter like a sleeping bag/Bivi Bag. I used a surplus army issue jungle sleeping bag inside. Condensation was an issue, but remedied by drying in the sun. And I can use it as a waterproof coat.....

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE