Nicked Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Felling a pear tree in my garden I managed to nick my Axe in a couple of places

Sharpen it you say!!;)

Hmmm well I'm a newb when it comes to sharpening axes.

So I have read posts here, RM books and the Axe booklet that comes with my GB

I own the GB puck, a Lansky sharpening system, and the 8.99 diamond sharpening block from B&Q British Red was talking about the other day.

Could the learned/experienced amongst you please check out my link and advise.:confused:

RM says that I may well need to flatten the edge on the edge of a bench stone and resharpen to th correct angle but it seems drastic.:eek:

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=rhy192c.j3dq1vo&Uy=z6h7j1&Ux=0

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
When I read your post I thought that you had taken a great lump out of the edge (as happens when you hit stones).

Then I saw the photo. Take it from somebody who partly makes his living from sharpening tools (and teaching people how to do it), don't worry about it! Unless you are planning to carve beautiful, fine sculptures with that axe the nick will never effect it's ability to cut!

Just run the axe over a piece of 500grit wet and dry paper layed on a mouse mat. That'll take the burr off the edge and will touch up the rest of the axe at teh same time. The nick will work itself out with time ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
This is something that quite frequently happens with my chisels at work(I am a carpenter) and unless it's a chisel for fine work I tend to just sharpen the rest of it and over time I wear it away and sharpen it away.

Takes a few goes but for rough work (lets face it an axe is rough work whichever way you say it) its not a problem at all.

If I get rid if the ding I also lose 2mm of chisel and usually I prefer that 2mm of chisel to one thats shorter but obsessive compulsive perfect.

Be right.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Gents thak for all the advice

you know on refelction its a £40 odd axe and is there to be used

anyway I did the 500 grit on the mouse mat

sharpened it up and honed a spoon

My whole attitude has changed towards the tool.

Cheers,

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE