New years resolution

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
As a new years resolution, I have decided to make the most of the natural harvest around me. this will mostly come from the coast and from a large mixed woodland within 30 seconds walk of my front door (I have the land owners permission to gather food here)

Anyone got any Ideas what is good out there and their personal favourites and recipe ideas

Thanks All

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hi Pignut

If you're near the coast then this time of year you'll get best results from collecting shellfish and maybe fishing and possibly even seaweed

We're entering the "hungry gap" where there is very little wild food available that isn't from animals.

There are various roots and tubers that are good now but the problem is knowing where they are when they don't have foliage to indentify them.

What kind of stuff do you have in the woods near you?

George

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Just about everythin!!!

Pignuts :D , Burdock, Fungi, sorel, there are also sizable areas of set aside boardering the woodland

I was thinking of razor clams on the beach and I think there ar cockle beds as well

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Razor clams are one of my favourites. Just make sure you don't cook them for too long or they get pretty tough.

I like them cooked in "moules mariniere" style with some good crusty bread.

Clam chowder made out of cockles is very good as is a pasta sauce made with them.

Happy hunting!

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE