New Mora basic allround pro S disappointment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Exactly this one:
http://www.heinnie.com/mora-basic-allround-pro-s

Well I got my new Mora. Few words as the pictures speak for themselves.
The biggest update is the handle material/construction, but to be honest the rubbery parts ale only a little softer/grippier compared to the plastic so the difference is really minor and far from ground breaking.
Also the blade shape is different and for me not very good. Maybe I'm too used to my orange Mora Bushcraft but the blade really feels shorty and stubby and I really miss the point. Also the extra width doesn't help with anything and actually gets in the way, for example with fire steel when you can't see the tinder.
Overall not a bad blade and still feels solid, but it's more suitable for hacking/abuse than whittling/camp chores.

And now the biggest issue, can you see what is wrong apart from the usuall spine finish?

2vux5cp.jpg

2uyjb04.jpg

24pi248.jpg

29qo6xk.jpg

21ora4p.jpg

20ht5x0.jpg

Maybe I just received a bad one. But apart from this issue in my opinion they decided to rethink the design and they wasted their time. Nothing to see here.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
The more I handle it the more it stings me. Please read the description (and check second picture):
"The blade is Swedish stainless steel with a back spine specially designed to accommodate a fire steel. "

It's not a bug, it's a feature... Probably the asymetric grind is part of the ergonomic design for right handed use.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:/

Did you mean it about that off grind being intentional ?
Right enough I did think that they were machine processed, so wondered how it had been done otherwise.

M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The more I handle it the more it stings me. Please read the description (and check second picture):
"The blade is Swedish stainless steel with a back spine specially designed to accommodate a fire steel. "

It's not a bug, it's a feature... Probably the asymetric grind is part of the ergonomic design for right handed use.

Have you emailed Mora with those pictures to see what they've got to say?

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
I've got the same model and the grind is fine and symmetrical on mine. It didn't come all that sharp but that was easily remedied. As you say Heinnies need to get that one back.

Colin

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Is the spine of your blade as specially designed for fire steel as mine?

Few more pictures to show the biggest problem.

28tx820.jpg

2hx1zwh.jpg

dd7p5.jpg

I have tried info@moraofsweden.se but I'm getting "Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message The Active Directory user wasn't found" reply..
Any ideas?

Last edited:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Given that "HH" are claiming that the spine is " specially designed to accommodate a fire steel." I think I'd be contacting them and asking them in what way is the spine " specially designed to accommodate a fire steel.?"

It clearly isn't and the bevel is, in my opinion, dangerously asymmetric!

Basically, that knife is a piece of junk!

The basic Moras from Clas Ohlsen, that you used to be able to buy for £4.95 each, are way better ground than that, although the spines are just as bad.

Not good enough by anyone's standards!.
[video=youtube;oPWd6V2qub0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPWd6V2qub0&list=UUARh Bu4nV8Sh3TCztVVrwIg&index=4[/video]

To be honest, looking at it from the perspective of someone who works in high speed, high volume manufacturing myself, it looks rather like, for some reason, ( a training session or test run maybe?) there's been a batch of reject blades put through the moulding machine that does the handles. Then instead of the rejects being recycled, they've been allowed through the "net".

Anyone with one of these knives in that sort of state, is due all of the following: Apology from both Mora and HH, money back inc p&p and a new, properly finished and inspected knife.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Well I'm really trying to avoid bashing on Mora but everything goes wrong...
Swedish email is not functional so I have contacted UK distributor on the above address. Here's my email exchange from monday (3 days ago and I havent heard from them since...):

BigMonster:
Hi guys, thought you might want to know about this one.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126488
Also please see attached pictures.

Mora:
Dear Mathew
Thank you for the information.
Please can you mail me a contact number and I will call you.
I would be extremely grateful if you could return the knife and we will replace it for you.
[FONT=&amp]Best regards[/FONT]

BigMonster:
That's alright. I'm returning it to the seller so that's not an issue.
I'm a big fan of Mora and I thought you would like to know about this situation.
Regards.

Mora:
[FONT=&amp]Hi Matthew,[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]If you have not sent it back to HH, please just return it to me as this will save time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The other thing is I would like to have a word with you and explain what could have happened..[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Best regards[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]James [/FONT]

BigMonster:
Well I'm sending it back for a refund so I'll stick with Heinnie.
I only had excellent experience with Mora products so It's really not an issue for me.
But I would be more than happy to copy our conversation/your explanation in to the forum thread. I know folks would be very pleased to see this.
Regards.

Mora:

Personaly it's really not a tragedy for me (especially considering the price) but it leaves a bad feeling in the back of my head. What do you think?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you given them a contact number for a chat yet?

I'm with Steve, it's probably a QC duffer that's slipped through the net somehow.

Are HH replacing it for you?

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I have send it back for a refund. The balde is too short for me.
And no no number., I's obvious it was a QC issue and there is not much to talk about. I just wanted to give them a chance to throw something in to the thread, they didn't take it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE