New Member - Manchester

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lee1970

Jan 31, 2023
North West
Hi all,

After 30 years of being a spreadsheet jockey I've finally remembered that I'm a country lad and have missed the countryside!

Currently purchasing equipment for Bushcrafting but not familiar these days with the products.

If anyone has any advice around tarps this would be appreciated. Are DD really the best?

Thanks and happy Bushcrafting.

Lee

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hey, good to have you and what a great choice you're making goodjob

My advice would be get the minimum kit you need to just get started and then pick up bits as you go, ultimately any tarp will work for you, even a cheap builders or garden tarp, cheap knife etc. Then take the time to pick what you want. I've a few DD tarps because they are good for the money, but I've had/got plenty of others that are good too.
In a way you want a plan of what you want to do and then use that to make purchasing decisions, if it's spend a night out then it's basic cooking, being dry and warm enough, that can be an old tent, old bit of canvas or £300 worth...

Getting together with other people and seeing what kit they use is useful, if you can try out kit that's even better.

There will be plenty more thoughts on tarps from people I'm sure.

If you want to meet people come along to a BushMoot, plenty of people to talk Bushcraft with there!

Good luck with it all, it's a great adventure!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hi and welcome! I suggest just going out somewhere with a thermos, a snack and a sitting pad and sit about for a bit and enjoy being outside. What do you fancy trying your hands at first?

You can also try out some stuff at home if you a garden or patio! I dug a whole in the lawn for having a small fire in the summer and for using my little woodgas stove, but I don't really do fires when out and about. For that, I bring a little gas stove, the Jetboil or a Trangia.

DD tarps are a solid choice at a decent price, but if you have an army surplus store nearby you might be able to pick up a basha sheet from there as an alternative.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Hello and welcome , I'm originally from North Manchester , you have great access with the Peak district on your doorstep ..... do you have some locations identified ? will you be establishing day camps or looking to sty over ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE