new & lightweight vs rustic & comfortable

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trubliphone

Mar 10, 2014
USA
All,

I'm confused about so many people's gear choices. Though I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like, I consider myself somewhere in-between a bushcrafter / lightweight hiker. This is reflected in my choice of gear; somethings will be wooden or rustic or leathery while other things will be silnylon or "gadgety" (and, invariably, lighter).

I understand that budget is a big concern. And I'm sure that many bits of kit may have sentimental value. But, those issues aside, why would rustic items made out of waxed canvas and leather be preferable to modern synthetic materials? The latter are so much lighter why wouldn't you choose them?

For example, I like my big wool Army blanket. It looks nice and is very comfortable, and it has served me well car-camping in the snow. But I'd never bring it backpacking with me - it's just too big and heavy.

So, what do you think? Why don't all bushcrafters use gortex / silnylon / titanium / etc. Is it just aesthetics, or am I missing something?

Cheers.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
It's a lot of preference really, I have some lightweight kit- not full on cuben fibre space age stuff but lighter than wool and canvas. I only use this if I'm hiking more than say 6 miles a day. Other than that I'm all wool and canvas. I do the majority of my trips in the canoe where weight is not as much at a premium as it is when hiking, so you can afford to have more traditional kit. For me it adds to the experience, I enjoy trying traditional set ups (not accurate, but as close as I can get wishing reason) and for me the gear is a lot more hardwearing, even if it is heavier. It's just one of those things really, I'm into it and the materials and kit bring me pleasure. Hope this helps :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've got a foot firmly in both camps. For me it's all about how I want to experience my time outdoors. Some adventures will be high tech jaunts wrapped in goretex camping on mountains under silnylon and speed cooking dehydrated meals. Other times it'll be wool shirts stainless steel billy cans and cooking steaks over the open fire with a few single malts to wash it down. It's all good as long as you're enjoying your time outdoors.

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
I guess it depends on how far your gonna go and what your planning on doing when you get there. If your going to build a shelter then you don't need to carry a tent. Also wools and canvas are a lot more fireproof than the lighter synthetic materials.

Budget aside I personally go for lightweight because I travel a lot and never know what circumstances I'm going to find myself in and like having that little bit extra mobility with less pack weight and space. If I stayed put in one place for a while, I would very much like to take a traditional kit for aesthetics, feel and durability :)

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
I like to dabble with both and use the best of both worlds... I use a goretex surplus jacket with a traditional shirt and pullover, wool blankets with cordura packs etc. I am partial to some nice canvas and leather though... but who isn't, eh?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've got a foot firmly in both camps. For me it's all about how I want to experience my time outdoors. Some adventures will be high tech jaunts wrapped in goretex camping on mountains under silnylon and speed cooking dehydrated meals. Other times it'll be wool shirts stainless steel billy cans and cooking steaks over the open fire with a few single malts to wash it down. It's all good as long as you're enjoying your time outdoors.

Exactly what he says here :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I'd say it's because bushcraft isn't about making do outside, it's about living in the environment longterm. Something that is small fragile and complicated is a lot of trouble, where as something big tough and simple even though heavier can be relied on and will make things easier. Bomb proof if one phrase that is ued a fair bit.

The British army kit is built along similar lines.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I tend to oscillate between both extremes. When I was young I could not afford hi tech equipment (no that in comparison to these days it was particularly lightweight anyway) so I made do with army surplus and old fashioned, coupled with the strength of young muscles to carry all that "uneccesary" weight. Now that I am getting frailer in my latter days, I can see the benefits of light weight but nonetheless I like the aesthetic of the old fashioned materials.

There are compromises to be made everywhere though and you can tread a path between the two extremes. For instance if you are particularly attached to a certain piece of traditional kit for whatever reason, you can lighten up somewhere else to accomodate that.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

Pretty much sums my feelings up. It's all fun. :)

IME, the weight of kit is inversley proportional to the distance it has to be carried.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So, what do you think? Why don't all bushcrafters use gortex / silnylon / titanium / etc. Is it just aesthetics, or am I missing something?

Cheers.

Don't worry so much about what other people are doing. Experience the outdoors in whatever way you choose, and allow others the courtesy of making their own choices.

If it comes right down to it, most people would do far better removing 10 kilos from themselves than from their pack.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I'd say it's because bushcraft isn't about making do outside, it's about living in the environment longterm. Something that is small fragile and complicated is a lot of trouble, where as something big tough and simple even though heavier can be relied on and will make things easier. Bomb proof if one phrase that is ued a fair bit.

The British army kit is built along similar lines.

I go along with some of this.

My high tech kit lives in my hiking pack. It's for walking in and seeing the great outdoors, carrying for miles what I need to spend the night.

My canvas gear lives in its swags ready to be lugged out to the car. It covers living in and with nature, usually woodland for longer periods in one place. It feels right to use more natural materials, more traditional manufacture. Slowing the pace somehow.

Both reflect ways I enjoy living outdoors.

Both reflect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
When I go out I just want to enjoy myself so I'll take whatever seems appropriate for the task and also for my mood, sometimes you want straight forward, sometimes you want to been comfort that only comes with old familiar things, sometimes I risk expensive modern clothes around a fire and sometimes I don't care to.

I think that in some way's the 'traditional' costume of bushcrafters is very misleading when you compare it to bushcraft and what it covers, it has such a great overlap into all outdoor activities that in reality anything goes, it's whatever you want to wear and experience, the only consideration really is just making sure it does the job you need and keeps you safe.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
All,

I'm confused about so many people's gear choices. Though I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like, I consider myself somewhere in-between a bushcrafter / lightweight hiker. This is reflected in my choice of gear; somethings will be wooden or rustic or leathery while other things will be silnylon or "gadgety" (and, invariably, lighter).

I understand that budget is a big concern. And I'm sure that many bits of kit may have sentimental value. But, those issues aside, why would rustic items made out of waxed canvas and leather be preferable to modern synthetic materials? The latter are so much lighter why wouldn't you choose them?

For example, I like my big wool Army blanket. It looks nice and is very comfortable, and it has served me well car-camping in the snow. But I'd never bring it backpacking with me - it's just too big and heavy.

Cheers.

Have a look at the Venn diagram Stuart (part of the BCUK team) drew up in the US:

[video=youtube;VxvVfgx9PBU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxvVfgx9PBU#t=130[/video]

Personally I'm in the 'modern' camp with a firm interest / overlap in Stone age skills. My kit is high end and modern, true 21st century. I have no interest whatsoever in making my own tarps, clothing, etc. from canvas or other heavy materials. I also can't be bothered with the bowdrill, eventhough according to the Venn diagram it's classed as stone age (sparks for me). For me it's something mountainman / re-enactment.

It's all about perspective, preference, etc. And that's what's so cool about bushcraft: it offers something for everyone one way or another. There are a lot of bushcraft flavours.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In my long distance walking and expeditioning days I always chose the "plastic fantastic", mainly for the light weight aspect but also because I bought into the hype of "Superior Function" of the marketing hype for synthetic clothing.
These days I do not walk as far (age and old injuries coming back to haunt me demand this) and I have chosen to enjoy my outdoor experiences using gear that pleases "Mind , Body and Spirit" rather than just going light-weight.
I have a preference for natural materials from a comfort aspect (wool canvas and leather feel so much more pleasant against the skin than plastic), home made gear from an aesthetic aspect (and I love making stuff, especially from found, harvested or recycled materials) and avoid plastics as I dislike them from an Ecological aspect.
Also, "Bushcraft" is, for me a bit of an escape from the pressures of Modern Living and the woods are somewhere I can indulge my interests in Primitive Technology and "Reductionism" (reducing things to base principles - living becomes a process of keeping warm, fed and comfortable using materials to hand, not worrying about the mortgage and the garage bills etc) wooden eating equipment either made by me or gifts from friends etc go a long way in allowing this change of pace.
These days I find the woods a place of retreat, sanctuary and healing rather than part of the modern Helter-Skelter life and avoiding the use of Ultra Modern gear helps reinforce the efficacy of these retreats.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
For me, the idea of going out with just a pair of blankets a knife and a fire steel appeals greatly. But alas, there are a number of reasons that make it impractical.

• Very few places I camp allow fires
  • A pair of wool blankets just aren't warm enough for most women (we sleep colder than men).
  • Due to injuries, the only way I can get out is if I reduce weight as much as possible, This tends to mean titanium and sil nylon.

There are a lot within the bushcraft community that only carry their pack a few hundred yards from the car, and others that carry their pack 300km along Scottish mountain trails. And everything in between.

I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. Each person is different. Ultimately you pays your money, you makes your choice.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE