New Lad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Hello All,

I have been reading the treads on this forum for quite a while so I thought I should sign up and introduce myself.

My name is Dan or Dano and I live in Kent England, I am interested in a lot of outdoor activities like fishing, camping, shooting and recently rekindled my love of canoeing.

As a kid and later as a big kid I was involved with Scouting from being a Scout to Venture to eventually being a Leader I got involved in all of the activities I could, I especially liked what we then called “Backwoodsman ship” things like lighting fires then cooking dampers on a green stick or streaky bacon the same way or even cooking an egg in an orange (a potato is better)
Although I stopped scouting a long while ago I have helped out with the odd event needing a service crew and to be honest I do miss the whole scene but I have a family now and they take up my little spare time.

As a family we go camping although a six man dome tent is not like the bivvies we used to construct but I still like to use old kit favourites like the Tilley lamp and cook proper camp food like eggy bread

My fishing activities are restricted by time but I like to get down to the beach and spin for Bass, more recently I have taken up fly fishing and have practiced on Trout although Bass on the fly is my aim.

As I said I had a love of canoeing, as a kid I got my BCU 2star and loved paddling about in kayaks but my fondest memory was paddling down the Youghiogheny River in Pennsylvania in aluminium Canadian canoe. As I live by the sea I wanted a craft to take my kids out for fun days and to fish from, with my love of the open canoe I decided that I would build a sailing canoe from Selway Fisher, it’s a 15’8” Prospector stitch and tape design, I decided to keep a record of the build for my own enjoyment and reference but others have enjoyed it and found it useful, if you wish to take a look its here http://prospector-sailing-canoe-build.blogspot.com/ feel free to leave comments on the blog and any advice is welcome.

As I read the threads on this forum I find that a lot of items discussed are things that I have been using for years like Trangia’s and Swiss Army Knives so I hope I can contribute to the discussions and also learn a lot from others.

I am always up for an adventure so if anyone has an idea for a trip in my part of the world please get in touch

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Checked out your canoe blog Dan. Very interesting. I'm gradually bringing myself around to building my own...unfortunately i've got a 'round house' to construct in the mean time :rolleyes:

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi mate it seems we have a lot in common i also like camping ,fishing and shooting
welcome to bcuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE