New fjallraven numbers overpriced!?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
try these http://www.arborwear.co.uk/Arborwear_Trousers/Original_Tree_Climbers_Trousers
just inherited a pair from the arb lecturer at work..............indestructible.

These look good. What size do they come up please? That is, is a 36" waist a normal 36 size you find in the shops, or is it a "real" 36 (more like 37-38 actual waist). Thanks

Fjallraven trousers : nice cut and features, not remotely waterproof even if waxed, seams part, G1000 rips, zip flies break. Not for me. Just as well I don't like football.

Last edited:

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
These look good. What size do they come up please? That is, is a 36" waist a normal 36 size you find in the shops, or is it a "real" 36 (more like 37-38 actual waist). Thanks

Fjallraven trousers : nice cut and features, not remotely waterproof even if waxed, seams part, G1000 rips, zip flies break. Not for me. Just as well I don't like football.

its generously sized, the pair i inherited were a 36 waist and a 30 inside leg. i'm 6'2'' and it didn't look like my budgie had died. saying that i'm normally a 34'' inside leg so when i get another pair, i'll get a 32''. they are seriously bombproof; something like 12oz canvas! and at roughly £45 cheap when you think that they will last literally years.

Dec 8, 2012
broughty ferry
I have the usual selection of surplus trousers, a pair of Harkila, a pair of fjallravren,a Seeland and a couple of pairs of Craghoppers.
I can not afford to replace the Harkila or the fjalraven and have been looking at the Bison bushcraft trousers does anybody have any experience of them?
They seem cheap by comparison and I like the fact they are made here.
In this current financial climate I am more inclined to support home grown companies.
(only Eley .22 subs for me!)

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
its generously sized, the pair i inherited were a 36 waist and a 30 inside leg. i'm 6'2'' and it didn't look like my budgie had died. saying that i'm normally a 34'' inside leg so when i get another pair, i'll get a 32''. they are seriously bombproof; something like 12oz canvas! and at roughly £45 cheap when you think that they will last literally years.

That's great thanks for the info.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
Sadly we only have a couple of pairs of 30" waist moleskins left. We simply cannot get them made here in the UK now to a quality and price we'd like. We have been offered overseas manufacture that we have declined so production is on hold until we can find a good UK maker.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
We have been offered overseas manufacture that we have declined so production is on hold until we can find a good UK maker.

This country seems to be going down the crapper. Paul from SASS told me exactly the same thing. Im more determined than ever to spend my 'hard earned' with small british cottage manufacturers these days. Unfortunately the [incumbent] a*s*h***s in charge believe speculation, rather than actually making stuff is the key to a productive economy

:rant:

Last edited:

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
This country seems to be going down the crapper. Paul from SASS told me exactly the same thing. Im more determined than ever to spend my 'hard earned' with small british cottage manufacturers these days. Unfortunately the [incumbent] a*s*h***s in charge believe speculation, rather than actually making stuff is the key to a productive economy

:rant:

Our manufacturing ploicy is to keep it as close to home as possible. I could rant for hours over the trouble we have, mainly it is the price of cheaper competion that has stuff made in bulk overseas. With super wide profit margins for somebody in the food chain.
If I had our trousers made here in the quality and quantity we'd like to they would have to sell for in excess of £160, and that isn't based on traditional profit margins either. As much as they would be worth every penny, most people just couldn't justify that money on trousers. I know I wouldn't as it is the trousers that take the most abuse, barbed wire fences, kneeling down etc.

Dec 8, 2012
broughty ferry
That is bad news, I was looking forward to buying a pair and I haven't had a 30" waist for a very long time.
The same goes for SASS I had a smock from them that I had for years and it still serves it new owner well.
Money well spent.
Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Snickers are made by Hultafors, and they last forever, i have a pair, had em 5 years for work..........im a landscaper/tree surgeon so they take a lot of stick.
Haglofs rugged are the nearest "Kit" pants to snickers, i have a pair of those and really like them, but at half the price i think its snickers from now on in..........try Blakladder, another swedish workwear, but hell yeah, indestructible.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have 3 pairs of Fjallraven trews, one about five years old and the others around 2 years old. The older ones are certainly a heavier weight fabric, or they feel it anyway, both the new pairs have snagged and ripped on the bellow cargo pockets, just caught them in thick brush and rrrrrip. I doubt I'll buy another pair now, I've fallen for my Haglofs Rugged Mountain pants and if they ever wear out, doubtful, I'll look to get another pair.

Those look good, have just been reading through this review. :)

like I can actually find a retailer in the UK.....

Yet another thing added to my list, thanks Rich! :p

If you mean the Haglofs, enjoy! :) https://www.google.co.uk/#q=Haglofs...48712a06a011d6&bpcl=38897761&biw=1280&bih=892

I'm tempted to get a pair of rugged mountain before they are discontinued this year - madness....

I do have a couple of pairs of rugged fjell and they are superb. Haglofs are superb kit, but a little less fire friendly.

Castleberg have reduced the Haglofs down to £109 from £140, and free shipping. I've just bought a second pair and will be putting them into storage until I need them, yes they are that good :) ...

http://www.castlebergoutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/haglofs-rugged-mountain-pant.html

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE