New Crooked Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Just got this the other day. I traded it for a few firesteel blanks. It's made from an old file and works beautifully.

crookedknife1.jpg

crookedknife2.jpg

crookedknife3.jpg

crookedknife4.jpg

The guy who made it is knocking up a whole batch of them to sell at the Chopwell Forest Festival. He's asking around the £40 mark, which is quite reasonable I think.

If any of you fancy coming along that weekend, check this thread out:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=20631

Eric

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Thats a really useful looking knife Eric, great hande shape :D
I like to see some good recycling, I might try that with some old files I have.

Mark

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Cheers. I'm going to try using it for making longbows. With a bit of luck and some practice, I'm reducing my tool carry to what more primitive peoples would have carried. Axe, knife, crooked knife, whetstone, flint, steel and charcloth.

First nation peoples managed quite well with the above for a long time so there's no excuse for me lugging a van load of tools with me to make simple rustic furniture and equipment.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Gailainne said:
Thats an interesting design, the handle addition for the thumb looks like it would give both more power and control. I would be interested in hearing your experiences with it.

It's like using a one handed draw knife. Native Americans regularly used these (made from files that they traded for) to make many items including birch bark canoes. The term crooked knife refers to the ergonomic shape of the handle rather than the curved blade. Crooked knives can also have straight blades. You use them in a pulling motion, drawing it towards you. The curved tip will allow spoon and bowl carving in softer green (unseasoned) wood.

I reshaped the handle when I got it (it was too chunky for my hand) and re-profiled the blade a bit so it's shavy sharp. I also added the leather thonging for better grip.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE