never mind Ray Mears, who remembers Jack Hargreaves?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Ahh, JH, his explination of how a fly rod works turned me on to fly fishing and away from drowning worms. I recently bought my nephew his first fly rod and used the same explination, a bit of wool tied to the top of a pencil henl flat against the table top.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Good old Jack used to show you stuff about poachers, and eel traps and how to reapair a piece of harness, unfortunately, Eddie was a bit more 'Hollywood'. still pretty good but more 'action man' than J.H.he was like a wise old grandad teaching you old tricks.

i used to love his show,i once saw the two heavy horses from the title screen at a summer show,shame so many of the episodes were lost,i loved his shed,full of allsorts!and thats what inspired my hunting/countryside forum!

http://jacksshed.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Over the past week I have watched the box series that is volume 1 - 9 and can re-affirm that anyone with an interest in bushcraft would enjoy watching JH :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Got to admit that Jack Hargreaves was a great favourite of mine to watch. The fact that he inspired a young townie teenager to eagerly watch programmes about the countryside spoke volumes of his presenting skills.

This thread has made me want to get the Out of Town DVDs to reacquaint myself with one of my favourite programmes from my youth. Another thing to add to my wish list now :)

tom miller

Apr 21, 2008
Norfolk
I remember Jack Hargeaves. From a time when TV actually showed you how to do things.
Now all you get is 60 different camera angles a minute, confusion and vertigo from trying
to see what on earth is going on. :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Over the past week I have watched the box series that is volume 1 - 9 and can re-affirm that anyone with an interest in bushcraft would enjoy watching JH :D

Yes I got that set a while back, my 2 favorite episode's are the skep maker and the rake maker. A mate of mine up the road got the set as well. I enjoy watching, but sometimes I have such a tremendous sense of sadness and loss that most of the traditional rural ways of life have ceased, its become a hobby, like Jack says, when something becomes disused the middle classes make it into a hobby

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/people/famousfirst892.html

He was truly a great man and very sadly missed. I guess most southerners would never have heard of him but he was one of Scotlands finest and he celebrated our landscape and people who worked within it as well as it's socio economic and cultural history. His series on the tv "Weirs Way" is an absolute work of art, recording people, wildlife, oral traditions and most of all landscapes. :)

A humbler man you'll never meet.

rancid badger

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/people/famousfirst892.html

He was truly a great man and very sadly missed. I guess most southerners would never have heard of him but he was one of Scotlands finest and he celebrated our landscape and people who worked within it as well as it's socio economic and cultural history. His series on the tv "Weirs Way" is an absolute work of art, recording people, wildlife, oral traditions and most of all landscapes. :)

A humbler man you'll never meet.

Sounds brilliant, so are there any copies of his programs available anywhere?
R.B.

rancid badger

Oohh!......must resist.....Canoe rack fee's to find.....:1244:

seriously though; not really expensive, Thanks for that Matt.;)
EDIT/Update: I've just been checking on youtube and there are a few decent clips of Weirs Way on there, I remember the programs from my youth now I've seen Tom "in the flesh" so to speak. I don't recall the series as such but Tyne Tees Television must have have screened a few episodes at some time because I have definitely seen Tom on TV before. Really very interesting stuff.
R.B.

CRAZY FROG

Forager
Aug 9, 2007
essex
I have two book by J.H. ones colled The Old Country, the other is Out of Town, both are based on the tv programs and are a b****y good read.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Aye! its all very well people blarting on about Ray Mears this or Bear Grylls that. What about the original T.V. (television) trad craft guru Jack Hargreaves?
'Out of Town' and then 'How?' these programs took me hook line and sinker at the tender age of about 7 and have stayed with me to this day (nearly 44) I suspect that there are many others who were inspired by this quirky old bloke with a beard, pipe and glasses, always making something traditional or riding around in bowtop gypsy caravans. Never any showbiz b.s. or 'hollywood' about his programs, just inspirational genious-fantastic!.
There's an idea for UK TV History or the like.
kind regards
R.B.

I not only remember the man, I remember running home at lunchtimes to catch the show on Anglia TV and then being late getting back to school. JH always reminded me of my Grandad, a wispy haired pipe smoking custodian of the weird, fanciful and forgotten tools of our agricultural past. JH was far more talkative however.

Oggie

Dec 30, 2006
Melton Mowbray
I cant remember "Out of Town" I must have been in the Army in Germany at the time it was broadcast.I must see if I can get to see these DVDs.
I remember Jack on "How" in the '70's and unless this thing I "laughingly" call my memory is playing tricks. He once pulled out a bayonet and said "I had this through two World Wars.Anyone else remember this?
Oggie.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE