never mind Ray Mears, who remembers Jack Hargreaves?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aye! its all very well people blarting on about Ray Mears this or Bear Grylls that. What about the original T.V. (television) trad craft guru Jack Hargreaves?
'Out of Town' and then 'How?' these programs took me hook line and sinker at the tender age of about 7 and have stayed with me to this day (nearly 44) I suspect that there are many others who were inspired by this quirky old bloke with a beard, pipe and glasses, always making something traditional or riding around in bowtop gypsy caravans. Never any showbiz b.s. or 'hollywood' about his programs, just inspirational genious-fantastic!.
There's an idea for UK TV History or the like.
kind regards
R.B.

rancid badger

Good old Jack used to show you stuff about poachers, and eel traps and how to reapair a piece of harness, unfortunately, Eddie was a bit more 'Hollywood'. still pretty good but more 'action man' than J.H.he was like a wise old grandad teaching you old tricks.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Jack Hargreaves is one of the main reasons I grew up to love the countryside, bushcraft and all the things that entails. I used to watch him when his show was on Anglia TV, sitting with my grandad. Brings back great memories and I bought four of the dvds last year - still as good as ever.

rancid badger

It was a similar story for me too. although without the grandad!
You know, if Ray Mears had screwed his loaf and gone down the traditional craft road, rather than 'wild foods' with his last series, he could have had a massive hit, rather than; if not a flop then at least a bit of a damp squib.
ahh the memories this brings back.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Jack Hargreaves. I had to get a bit of prompting from you all to dig him out of the dim corners of my memory.

Great guy and an inspiration. I probably learned more from him than I realize.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I bought some of his books under the iunfluence of fruit wine at Lulworth Cove - then thought - 'Why the Hell........'

Lovely - in the nicest possible way, I couldn't put them down. He seemed to say, yes the modern world is good, but it'd be better if we remembered...............

Must find his DVDs

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I remember watching Out of Town and wishing I had a grandad/uncle like that, real old school stuff. I remember him talking about a fishing trip and having a kingfisher land on his rod in a show(but I may have read it in an Out of Town annual or some such as I remember it so vividly) and being in real awe of him.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
I used to watch jack when I was a kid, Jack Hargreaves is to the countryside what Fred Dibna is to engineering, both gentlemen are icons of an age when skills and craftsmanship were truly valued.

Ian

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Out of town, one of my earliest and best TV memories, he had a true down to earth style and always came across as a nice old gent.

My favourite part was when he'd pull out some ancient gixmo and eventually explain how such a strange looking chunk of wood and metal did it's job and how well it did it.

One thing tho. . .I can't for the life of me bring the theme tune to the front of my mind, I get the feel of it and even hints at the tune but can't quite focus in on it.
Anyone know the tunes name etc? it would ease my fevered mind :confused:

Kev

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I used to watch jack when I was a kid, Jack Hargreaves is to the countryside what Fred Dibna is to engineering, both gentlemen are icons of an age when skills and craftsmanship were truly valued.

Ian

Jack Hargreaves, a London lad, born of a wealthy wool merchant family, lived most of his life in the outskirts of London, ok he and his brothers spent the summers on the farm of a friend of the families who lived in Buckinghamshire, from aged six. He spent all his early life in London; he when to a London school, attended university in London started training as a vet but ended up as a journalist. After the war he joined the NFU in 1950s.
It was not until he was in the last half of his life that he became, something he truly aspired to, as a country gent.
I worked with a chap in Southampton in the early 1980's who advised on some of the ‘how’ programmes (he was a flour miller) who knew Jack, he said that Jack was a good man and a quick learner, show him once and he would be able to do it almost as if he had been doing all it all his life, or at least give the impression on TV that this was the case.:rolleyes:

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Well done Rancid for introducing this step down memory lane .Old Jack was an old country pioneer, wee trick on poaching , a wee fishing tip and a big insight into the outdoor way of life .Long before the pot noodle warrior rampaged the countryside frightening the wildlife with the rustle of their new Berghaus jackets.Going green , native ,preservation was,nt a fad it was a way of life.Babyboomers will remember him fondly, and then his Australian cousin stepped in Bushftucker man .Say what you want he was also good , didn,t think the hat a portable commode was a good idea though .Thanks Falcon for the web site , I,m away to have a wee dram with old Jack .

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
I remember his programmes, I always found them interesting, not just the subject usually some aspect of old country craft or pastime but also the relaxed way he talked as he did it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE