Need Winter Boots Recommendations!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
Ok come on guys throw some ideas at me, I'm looking for a sturdy pair of walking boots, waterproof that will keep my feet toasty and dry when the snow comes. £150 is my limit. Hit me!

Cheers Brian.

rg598

Native
There is no such thing. If the boots are waterproof, your feet will get wet from the sweat.

That being said, there are many good options out there when it comes to winter boots. Which ones will work for you will depend on what you plan on doing. What temperatures do you expect? What terrain do you plan to encounter? Do they have to be compatible with automatic crampons?

Here are some options: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-best-winter-backpacking-boots.html

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I'm picking up a pair of diotto no scratch boots tomorrow, I'll let you know how I get on with them.......
...... What was that dear?........... no I'm gonna nip to wyndsors shoes tomorrow and get some cheap boots darling............ phew.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
I'm picking up a pair of diotto no scratch boots tomorrow, I'll let you know how I get on with them.......
...... What was that dear?........... no I'm gonna nip to wyndsors shoes tomorrow and get some cheap boots darling............ phew.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Lmao, you'll have to hide them in the wardrobe bro ;) aha yeah if you would be good to know! cheers!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Will do, when the bruising subsides.
Seriously though, most reviews, and a good friend had a chat with a local supplier, who all sung their praises.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

They sell em , cause they rate them.....and unbelievably light for a full boot. Hope you find they're worth the extra it's going to cost you in steak and frozen peas lol

If Woden Wills It , then it will be so

rg598

Native
Cheers bro that's a great link! I'll have a read :) I'm normally on fairly hilly terrain so need good ankle support. -5c at most but plan to wear neopreme socks. :)

-5C is pretty warm temperature. You don't really need winter boots for that. Even in colder temperatures, I use my regular boots, a pair of Solomon Quest 4D. They are Gore-Tex lined, and provide great support over rough terrain.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
im inclined to agree with Ross Brian. If your hill bashing then your feet will be plenty warm enough in normal boots. The issue comes when you stop for the night. A pair of camp booties might be just the ticket. I have some helsport bivvy boots that served me well in Estonia down to -15. For cold muddy winter meets where you are not as active i choose neoprene wellies 9 times out of 10. If its very cold and dry ill take my pac boots along

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Aye... in -5C i'm still in normal boots... if you're expecting snow, get some decent gaiters (not the meltingly hot yeti types!) and you're set.

As has been said, if it's for milling around camp, some down boots are ideal and pack small.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
For winter walking/mountaineering and climbing I'm using La Sportiva Extremes this last few years, I was in plastic boots for 20 years before that and borrowed leather super guides (had to give them back) prior to that. These boots are completely rigid as thats whats needed for front pointing in crampons or clipping on ski mountaineering ski bindings. If you don't need that capability don't go for fully rigid boots.

There's a few things to consider with boots when it comes walking, before one considers cold weather. For walking most important is fit, snug but not tight. The fit needs to be snug so as to avoid issues like blistering etc caused by the foot flapping around inside, but the tip of the toes shouldn't touch or be pinched by the front/toe of the boot when walking straight down hill. Get the fit right and that'll go a long way to keeping the feet warm.

Some people like long boots but my preference is for ankle boots worn in conjunction with gaiters, as I find that the most flexible combination. I'm using Meindl walking boots for any distance walking I do, an earlier incarnation of those in the link below. My feet have never been wet in them and that includes days on end use spent fishing in boggy terrain with water constantly lapping over the toes, the gortex liner has held out so far 7 or 8 years use. Saying that I only ever use them specifically for walking not everyday use, but even so I'm quite impressed as I haven't had that much success with goretex lined boots prior to these. What attracted me to these boots was the three different width fitting, meaning I could pin down a great fit for my large wide feet ;)

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/meindl/mens-lhotse-gtx-walking-boots/211049

In sumer I wear thin cotton socks, in winter thin wool in the same weight as the cotton, thats the fit I like, snug with thin socks. The spec of the boot is 3 season but we're talking mountain top seasons not general seasons. I've worn these in cold weather and never had cold feet, the coldest was wandering around Kiev one January -25ºc, with an indoor temp of -5 where I was working, on my feet all day and my feet were fine. If I was going for a non mountaineering winter boot for the UK, IE not planning to use a crampon, I'd get the same boot a half size bigger to accommodate a heavier sock for a similar fit. So far I haven't felt the need.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you get the fit right as thats where the comfort is. Biggest mistake people make is to go heavier in the sock and then stuff the feet into a boot thats not able to accommodate them, thus causing restricted circulation which in turn leads to numb feet despite an otherwise good core temperature.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Whatever you decide on, make sure you get the fit right as thats where the comfort is. Biggest mistake people make is to go heavier in the sock and then stuff the feet into a boot thats not able to accommodate them, thus causing restricted circulation which in turn leads to numb feet despite an otherwise good core temperature.

^^^^ Best bit of advice you will get. I learned that lesson the hard way.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Some people like long boots but my preference is for ankle boots worn in conjunction with gaiters, as I find that the most flexible combination.....

I use both types and like them both. But to be honest (or more accurately, to be pedantic) I have a problem calling the short ones "boots."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE