Need some modern kit advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

watatoad

Banned
Nov 27, 2011
Suffolk England
Being an older person, I do not feel up to date enough to be qualified to suggest to a friends son what is best.

He is looking for

a rucksack with molle

He has been looking at a
1; Defcon 5 modular battle 1 pack
2; Karrimor SF Predator Patrol 45
3; 5.11 Rush 72 Backpack

a good sleeping bag or sleeping system
He has no idea

a good tarpaulin
He has been looking at a
1; DD extra large tarp

a hammock or hammock system
He has been looking at a
DD hammock plus an underblanket

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I agree with the above for sleeping bags- I have 2 from Alpkit and can't recommend them highly enough!

No connection with them, other than happy customer.

As for hammocks, I have a Nomad but DD get great reviews. I also use a Snugpac cacoon with it which is ace!!

KP

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Welcome to BCUK

Rucksacks a very personal thing and I would suggest he trys them with kit in and then decides which best suits his body shape and needs. make sure he gets one which is big enough to hold the gear he will be carrying.On that note I would suggest he may also want to look at a long back Bergen or similar

Sleeping bags I wouldn't get down as a first bag I would look at a modern synthetic one Nanok are very good indeed http://lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Sleeping_Bags___Mats.html and that first one on there from Lurch of this parish is a bit of a bargain
I would also get some form of bivvy bag not necessarily an army one, there are plenty of lighter ones that just give extra protection from the rain

He should be fine with a DD hammock and tarp; make sure he checks the sizes are suitable for his anticipated needs

I am personally not a believer in underblankets as I really cant justify the bulk and weight to myself-I hike in rather than drive in though so that's probably just based entirely on that.A good closed cell foam mat should be adequate in the UK.Others will advocate strongly for an underblanket so he will have to decide what he prioritises

Oh the joys of getting kitted out
Just remember he will probably upgrade and adapt as he goes along so getting the basics is all he needs Plenty more fun decisions to be made in the future

Oh and keep an eye on the classifieds section as some of these items will come up for sale in the course of time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE