Need help of wood stove flue insulator.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Ok
I have just purchased a new all singing and all dancing kni-co Alaskan Deluxe powder coated Woodstove with stack Robber and extra table!. It will take a couple of weeks to be delivered...

The flue is a 5" Tapered Pipe down to 4" which includes four sections of pipe 20" long pipes that nest together for a total height of 73" from top of stove to top of pipe.

I have also bought 2 x 20" stove pipes 5" diameter to gain height. If needed.

I want to buy a Bison Tundra tent (haven't yet decided on 4 or 8 man yet! However I need a flue insulator to go through the canvas at the top.. kni-co were unable to help in this department...

I can't find any helpful information on the net.

Anybody on here run this sort of setup and able to give me a little push in the right direction....
Please

Many Thanks.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
My advice would be to either:

A) go to b&q (or other DIY place) and buy a 18" x 18" sheet of metal mesh, roll it around the flue and secure using small nuts and bolt...adjusting the bolt length to hold it in place. You then have a gap between flue and mesh of about an inch and this will be enough to stop the canvas burning.

Or

B) go to a motor spares shop and buy a roll of exhaust heatproof tape, take it home and wrap it around the flue pipe like an old pair of army putties. This stuff is so good you would be able to safely hold the wrapped flue while it's on a full burn (if you could reach that high...or had the inclination lol).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Last edited:

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Ok, hadn't thought of that.

So 50 mm exhaust wrap, wrapped around the top part (2feet) of the stove pipe with a couple of layers where it exits the tent. Would it be worth wrapping a layer of aluminium around this? I see on Ebay that the exhaust tape is coming with aluminium ties.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I guess the aluminium tape would work, or so will garden wire if you have any kicking about. Or a large jubilee clip at top and bottom if you want it a little more permanent :). I guess it depends if the flue exits your tipi in the middle of a section or on a joint as to whether you leave it wrapped or wrap it anew each time lol

I don't know that you'd need, or want, to wrap the whole top of the flue....maybe just 6" below where they touch as it exits to 8 or 10" after it exits.

Cheers :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I have a top quality military stove jack in heavy duty green ripstop, which I got a for a project, but never got around to using.
It'd be perfect for a Bison Lavvu.
Drop me a PM if you're interested.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I have a top quality military stove jack in heavy duty green ripstop, which I got a for a project, but never got around to using.
It'd be perfect for a Bison Lavvu.
Drop me a PM if you're interested.

If OP's Bison Tundra lavvu is made of the same fabric as the Bison Tundra 3, then the military flue jack will be too heavy for it. I'm assuming it's the same as the one pictured below.
DSCN6715.jpg

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Hi Ian.
I have spoken via P.M with David and you are indeed correct.

The Bison Tundra tent is like a tipi with a single central pole holding everything up.

It has a hole and hat in the centre at the top. I don't need to cut a hole in the canvas.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
I had to solve a similar problem for my tentipi. I got two, ventilated, circular, aluminium "discs" from Halfords about 6 inches across with axial holes big enough to fit around the flue (don't know what they were). I then put fine grade rectangular holed wire mesh around them to create a cylinder and then held that together with steel cable ties. Finally, I put a light chain on it with hooks at each end so that it could be "hung" from the opening at the top of the flue and adjusted on the mesh by the second hook so that it sat at exactly the right position. cap it off with a silicone rubber baking dish with a hole and slit to fit over the whole thing and you restore a bit of weather tightness too. The beauty of this is that the metal is very fine, so there is no heat conducted to my precious canvas. Beware of using solid metal to protect things from heat. The thermal conductivity of aluminium in particular is very high. Good luck.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
I should add that the construction above created an annulus or circular gap all the way round such that the canvas was held at least two and a half inches from the flue. I did some thermal measurements on the stove whilst operating to verify this would be sufficient - Its surprising how the temperature drops as you go further up the flue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE