Need another saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I'm about to push the button on a new saw. This will primarily be used for larger branches, firewood and clearing small sycamore stumps from my local woodland.
I already use a fiskars extrcta large and have a Laplander in my response pack as a spare.

I've narrowed my choices down to either:

Silky zubat 390
http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/sheathed/zubat.html

Silky sugoi 360
http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/sheathed/sugoi.html

Silky geki-temagari 390
http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/sheathed/genki.html

Any advice or suggestions appreciated as always.

touched by nature

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Decorum has a Sugoi and I've played with it a few times... Great saw is the best description for it.

You won't complain if you get one, but you may bleed a lot if you're not careful as those things are SHARP :)

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
ditto on the sharp - I use a Corona Pro pruning saw for the large stuff but that looks to be longer than what you want - I use it cause its "almost" a cross cut saw - a distinction necessary due to Forest Service regulations requiring certification for crosscut use in trail maintenance but not requiring certification for pruning saw use

see first item on http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/subprod/corona-pruning-saws-0001535.aspx Corona 20" Raker Tooth Pruning Saw

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Decorum has a Sugoi and I've played with it a few times... Great saw is the best description for it.

You won't complain if you get one, but you may bleed a lot if you're not careful as those things are SHARP :)

I've had a play with the sugoi already, it's a beast. I've also used chisellers gomtaro which was just as good.
I've been told the zubat is excellent for the smaller stuff, but the genki looks like it's in a league of its own. Plus I can get one for £61

touched by nature

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Duluth Bob Dustrude is my choice for the bigger stuff

Superb saws, ive used one for a number of years and love it to bits, but, it's taken a bit of a back seat ever since i got my Silky Gomtaro.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
ditto on the sharp - I use a Corona Pro pruning saw for the large stuff but that looks to be longer than what you want - I use it cause its "almost" a cross cut saw - a distinction necessary due to Forest Service regulations requiring certification for crosscut use in trail maintenance but not requiring certification for pruning saw use

see first item on http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/subprod/corona-pruning-saws-0001535.aspx Corona 20" Raker Tooth Pruning Saw

That looks tasty, especially at that price, however probably a little hard for me to take with me in my bag.
Cheers

touched by nature

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Duluth Bob Dustrude is my choice for the bigger stuff

I've been looking at these for a while now. I love the way it packs away, and tensions the blade. I have a few bow saw blades in the shed with both bow saw frames and a work in progress folding frame.

The thing is, swmbo has given me the green light to get one. So I want the biggest baddest looking beast, but one that works well with little effort.

I like the silkys, the space between my Bergen and the side pouch seem to be made for sitting them.

touched by nature

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Intersting info comming out here, I am thinking about a new saw, but looking at the pocket boy 170..

But now do I go for something bigger... keep the info coming...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Decorum has a Sugoi

I do indeed. I um'd and ah'd about whether to go with the 360 or the 420 ~ as the stockist was waiting on 420's and I needed it quickly I went with the smaller size.
Fantastic tool and although Silky are expensive, providing you let the blade do its job it will (with a bit of artistic license) breeze through the work.

I also have a zubat 300 ~ more easily packed and after 10 years, still going :D . Good tool, the bigger versions available today weren't around when I bought mine.

I must admit to the occasional 'I wish the blade was straight' when felling; it'd mean less work taking the gob out.

Being bitten by a Silky is almost a rite of passage :eek: :27:.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
That looks tasty, especially at that price, however probably a little hard for me to take with me in my bag.
Cheers

touched by nature

It becomes less tasty when adding in the price of the sheath if one chooses to buy that also iirc it about doubles the price with the leather sheath.

wrt carrying it - my typical day pack has slots for skis and the sheathed saw fits very nicely in the slot and is easy to carry that way as well as being convient for access when needed

I have used the Corona Pro saw and a wedge to cut 18 inch dead pine (pine bark beetle killed) and 12 inch dried oak (gypsy moth killed) blowdowns.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Intersting info comming out here, I am thinking about a new saw, but looking at the pocket boy 170..

But now do I go for something bigger... keep the info coming...

Ive got a PB170 as well, superb bit of kit and stashes away in bag nice and easily, if you want a good saw for not a lot of money though, have a look at the Silky F180, it's £18.00 and blows things like Laplanders away, Hugo has a F180 that he got at the Woodfair and when out and about he cuts walking stick blanks of about an inch thick in three cuts, it's a demon of a saw, in a comparison we did, his F180 made a brand new Laplander look like it had a blade made from treacle:).

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Just come back from the shop with a new sword *ahem* saw. I went for the silky genki-temagari.
First impressions, it's big. The teeth are huge. 5 - 6.5 teeth per inch.
Downside is that it doesn't come with a sheath, and it'll look like a Bowman aerial when it's in my pack!
I'm hoping to have a play later, I'll put up some piccies.

touched by nature

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Just got back from the local woods with a boot full of sycamore. Half an hours work with the big bad saw. Like a knife through butter.
This saw is a dream to use on large branches and trees, but far too big to use around the fire.
4urutaqa.jpg

touched by nature

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The zubat is a really good saw. I used it most days in my last post and it was the bees knees. Did a cracking job pruning and felling small trees. Also bit well into my knuckle when I wasnt paying attention lol luckily it wasnt too deep and only required butterfly stitches

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE