Need an apple tree pruning expert!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Hello everyone. I've got two apple trees at work that were pruned back very hard about 10 years ago, and now the tree has re grown hundreds of spear-like shoots about 8 feet long.

The new shoots produced thousands of apples this year, but the trouble is most we're slightly bigger than a golf ball and did not ripen properly (I'm presuming due to the sheer quantity of apples on the tree).

I am looking to thin out about half of these shoots this winter, and then next July reduce the size of the remaining shoots to about half, to hopefully ensure the remaining apples ripen fully.

i just want to know if this plan sounds ok, have watched a few different videos on youtube but a lot of the information is conflicting on youtube.

anyone have any experience in doing something similar? Thanks

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Hi Bob

I would never seek horticultural advice from Youtube to be honest.

Go to the experts:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=90#section-4

The link will take you to winter pruning, but has links on to summer pruning & over-vigorous trees.

Personally I'd do the removal AND the reduction in January, with shaping (and more trimming if necessary) in July. I'd also remove 2/3 (rather than 1/2) and reduce the other 1/3 if it is as overgrown as you indicate.

Mind you even then the apples might still be small - if it is something that's been grown from a pip it may never give big fruit - edible apples can cross with crabs.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
hello bob

its been a long time since ive done any orchard pruning but heres my thorts on the matter.

if it grows strait up cut it out
if it grows inwards cut it out
if it grows across another branch cut it out

instead of pruning in july you could remove half the fruit on the tree. this would reduce the chance of your trees getting any nasty infections.

what your saying does sound good to me some before and after shot would be great to see.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hold your arms straight out or slightly raised.
Now, bend your elbows so your hands are more or less straight up.

The concept with one style of apple tree pruning is "out and up." This opens the core of the tree to sunshine.
Beezer's advice is spot on. I'd remove 2/3 of those long shoots and cut the remainer down by half their length.

After fruit set, the first, the 'king,' bloom in each cluster will produce the biggest apple. When the fruit are pigeon-egg/end-of-your-thumb sized,
you have to "fruit-prune." Bang on the branches with your fist. Many of the little fruits fall off. That's good.
Now go around and thin so the clusters are down to 1's and 2's and a few 3's.
With all of the tree feeding far fewer apples, you wont grow a crop of golf balls.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE