Need advice, vintage British rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
Hello
I have seen this old British rucksak on sale:
"THE HIGH B.B PACK CRESTA DE LUXE ALL BRITISH RUCKSACK"
$_12.JPG $_12.JPG $_12.JPG

Exact same like this on "The Scottish Mountain Heritage Collection" page
http://www.smhc.co.uk/objects_item.asp?item_id=32349
Any experiences witch this ? heavy? comfortable? quality?
Looks very same like some old Danish rucksack.
Some old vintage rucksack is very good but other just heavy crap.
Any experiences with this pak, i think this from 60-80

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
I've got one of these - a garage throwout at a local car-boot sale. I like it for it's style and character. However, it's not light (because it's canvas and steel frame). Biggest likely limitation is at the waist. The frame has two fins at waist-level to bring the back-support away from the pack. They partly "wrap" around your waist. This means that if you're a little large you may find that the fins dig in to your back.

There is no waist strap or hip-belt, although you could make something out of webbing and mount them over protruding lugs on the fins.

Under the topflap, there's a vinyl pocket, presumably for maps. The straps are very long, presumably to accomodate bed-rolls or tents under the flap.

bags 008.jpg

I hope they show on this quick shot - 58 mug stuck in side pocket for scale

Pretty well built, but you might - literally - find it a pain in the rear.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a blast from the past! I used one of these for a good long time in the sixties, camping and hiking, a bit of climbing and caving, and I always had a great regard for it. I was a thin whippet in those days and found the pack very comfortable but remember some of the "Lardys" having a bit of the problem posted above with the "fins". IIRC, the quality was extremely good; the pack lasted me for a decade of heavy use with the Scouts
and all the camps and courses we used to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE