need a new knife alittle help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
i was looking on the bear claw web site and wondered wich knife is the best i was looking at the Classic Mora, Frosts Clipper, Opinel No.8. i was thinking the classic mora.

leon-1

Gaz, what knife have you been using?

The classic mora is a good knife, but you may be able to pick it up a little cheaper on ebay (that is where mine originated and it cost a lot less than the price on Bearclaw), if you are used to haveing a guard before the blade it can be a little unsettling getting used to using one is the only thing that I would say.

The frosts clipper once again is good knife for the cost that you pay for them, the handle is a little grippier than the mora and there is a little more security in that there is a small gaurd before the blade.

As a folding knife I have a lot of time for the Opinel, they are cheap and basic, but they sharpen up nicely and can be squared off for use with a firesteel.

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
whats is the dfrence between the plastic mora and the wood one apart from the handle or is that the only diffrence.

leon-1

Gaz there is a slight difference in blade shape/design between the two and of course the sheaths are a little different as well as the handles being different.

I'll get the camera out tomorrow and take some pictures of a classic next to one of the frosts so you can have a better look (my frosts is not the clipper it is the green handled military knife, but the blade shape is very similair).:)

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
The other main difference is the handle thickness the plastic ones slightly bigger and has the rubber insets to aid grip when wet
Dave.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I think you might be thinking of the swak and the clipper

I for one really dislike the classic mora with the red wooden handle. I really hurt to use it for anything. The plastic handled ones are good though

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I carry a convex ground SAK with me constantly. One could almost call me....obsessed with them. But then again, I've never in my life needed anything remotely bigger, and I've had some bad experiences with Opinel's. There are some very lovely Frost Moras and Clippers sitting in one of Nanaimo's knife shoppes at the moment; and although they catch my fancy, I really have no need for them.

Just my $0.02 cents,

Adam

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
If you want a folder you won't go wrong with an Opinel, there has been one in my pocket for most of the last quarter of a centuary, only replaced when I lost the old one.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I don't think you can go wrong with a Clipper - great knife worth 3 times the money it costs. It takes and holds a good edge, its comfortable and well liked by bushcraft schools. I do like folders and carry a SAK most everywhere but I think folders are easily over powered and can result in nasty accidents... My $0.02 worth.. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE