"Natural" paper tinder!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Inspired by a recent thread on wasps, I had a bit of a brainwave.....
A few years ago we had a big wasps nest in our loftspace which I treated and removed. I stored it outside for a while to be sure it was vacant, then the kids took it into school for a show and tell session, then back into the shed where I forgot about it.
Last night I thought about using it as a source of tinder.... and suprising good it turn out to be. Its not brilliant at taking an ember, but mixed with other materials it certainly burns for a long while, something akin to cotton wool and a small dab of vaseline. The nest was about the size of a basketball so I think theres enough for a few fires.
I don't advocate that folk grab handfulls of live nests to start a fire (though the exercise running away would definately keep you warm!) but if your having a nest destroyed, or come across a vacant one in winter - its worth keeping in mind its alternative uses!
I also remember using wasp grubs as a bait when fishing as a kid!

ATB

Ogri the trog

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
When the father in law knocked a wall out to fit patio doors he found a nest that had been exterminated a few tears before (not removed coz at the time they needed the wall):lmao: and it was the shape of the cavity and the size of a small car tyre not the normal round jobbie.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE