natural mosquito repellent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vyvsdad

Nov 15, 2011
london
I recently watched the film The Way Back, and there is a scene where the hero's are being plaques by mossies until a local gives them what looks like some tree roots to put around their necks, and lo and behold, goodbye mossies.
Does anyone know what they could have used, or was it made up for cinematic effect?

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
According to an excerpt from an interview with Peter Weir, a French guy who actually done the walk told him about the bark necklace, doesn't say what it is, but might narrow it down a bit?

Peter Weir: "Oh yes, I was always changing things as a result of that. Oh, a third person Cyril Delafosse-Guiramand, late 30s, French. He works in the IT industry but his hobby is walking. He was inspired by the book and sometime after 2000 he undertook the walk, so he was the first person I went to see. He was living in Laos then with his wife. So I went up there and we talked for a couple of days and I said, 'Would you advise us? d I’ll send you scripts.' Then I began to say, 'Can I put some of the stuff you're telling me in, like this thing about these mosquitoes? This man you met in the forest that has a bark necklace?' He said, 'Sure,' very generously so I put that in.. Then he coached the actors and then was with us every day."

Lemon Eucalyptus for example is as good as or better than DEET for repelling the lil bleeders, seems alot of citrus type plants are, citronella, lemon balm, lemon sage, basil. Not sure what trees would have been in that geographic though?

Si

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
According to an excerpt from an interview with Peter Weir, a French guy who actually done the walk told him about the bark necklace, doesn't say what it is, but might narrow it down a bit?

Peter Weir: "Oh yes, I was always changing things as a result of that. Oh, a third person Cyril Delafosse-Guiramand, late 30s, French. He works in the IT industry but his hobby is walking. He was inspired by the book and sometime after 2000 he undertook the walk, so he was the first person I went to see. He was living in Laos then with his wife. So I went up there and we talked for a couple of days and I said, 'Would you advise us? d I’ll send you scripts.' Then I began to say, 'Can I put some of the stuff you're telling me in, like this thing about these mosquitoes? This man you met in the forest that has a bark necklace?' He said, 'Sure,' very generously so I put that in.. Then he coached the actors and then was with us every day."

Lemon Eucalyptus for example is as good as or better than DEET for repelling the lil bleeders, seems alot of citrus type plants are, citronella, lemon balm, lemon sage, basil. Not sure what trees would have been in that geographic though?

Si

Do you have any data on this statement chap, I would agree that PMD and citronella based products are effective, but the time before reapplication compared to the some Deet based products makes it a poor choice IMO, heres a chart based to help illustrator this,

http://www.homs.com/AAFD.pdf

http://www.malariajournal.com/content/10/S1/S11

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
have some citronella in my garden. I'll try it out to see if it works. Someone else could try different plants and share some real results... :)

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Forgot to add Catnip which seems to be very highly effective (up to 10x more effective than DEET) article HERE & Pine Oil as another effective repellent (for some ticks aswell), article HERE perhaps a combo of these were used as some sort of soaking agent for the bark necklaces? I can't remember where they were in the film when they were given them so really don't know what sort of plants/trees could have been found there.

It was afterall a film, but based on what Weir was told by the French dude he included it, who knows if it works or is an old wives tale. I'd rather put a plant based product on my skin than a chemical one but that's a personal thing and I rarely get bitten anyway, don't think they like my blood, used to love the ex-wife's though. :lmao:

Si

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Personally, I'll continue to rely on good old DEET (and prescribed prophylactics for Malaria) to protect me against Malaria and Dengue Fever etc when I'm travelling!

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
take garlic tablets afew days before an outdoor trip and continue to the end of the trip...the garlic comes out in your sweat and i guess mosquitos hate garlic just like vampires do...both are nasty blood suckers...vince g. 11B INF...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
have some citronella in my garden. I'll try it out to see if it works. Someone else could try different plants and share some real results... :)

Citronella should definitely work. Think about it; the citronella candles or citronela oil torches are sold to repel them from outdoor patios, campgrounds, etc. Aside from that cedar is used to make bug repelling furniture or to line closet to repel bugs. It should work on mosquitos too. The Indians used to use bear grease but that will repel pretty much everything (including you appetite)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Forgot to add Catnip which seems to be very highly effective (up to 10x more effective than DEET) article HERE & Pine Oil as another effective repellent (for some ticks aswell), article HERE...

Don't know about the article. But I do know that here there are denser tick poulations in pine woods than most anywhere else. Seems incongruous that pine oil would repel them?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I'd rather put a plant based product on my skin than a chemical one but that's a personal thing and I rarely get bitten anyway, don't think they like my blood...

Do you eat lots of garlic? Not sure of exactly what other menu items but I do recall reading somewhere that diet has a lot to do with your attraction/repelling of them.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
take garlic tablets afew days before an outdoor trip and continue to the end of the trip...the garlic comes out in your sweat and i guess mosquitos hate garlic just like vampires do...both are nasty blood suckers...vince g. 11B INF...

I've heard the same thing. Garlic!

can't confirm it working but I think it may help and people I know have said it helped when abroad.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Vince, where do you get your garlic tablets? I'd like to give it a try.

you can usually get garlic tablets from health food shops. you could also try ebay, or simpley make your own.

I know people who make their own pills, they dry the ingredients, grind it up, mix it with a bulker of flour/sugar and put into a capsule press and they are ready to consume.

the contents often vary though :p

i have heard somewhere that elder leaves crushed up and rubbed onto the skin works as insect repellant
i also trust in marmite! two slices of toast with marmite on for a week or two before you go means the vitamin B is coming out of your pores like the garlic method mentioned. i've tried this and it works for me the only time i haven't done it is the time i got munched on massively(it was a spontaneous lets go camping so i hadn't been eating marmite)
for those of you who dont like marmite i believe you can can get vitamin b tablets

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
i have heard somewhere that elder leaves crushed up and rubbed onto the skin works as insect repellant

I've found that quite effective ~ but, strangely, our Sambucus is a martyr to aphids :dunno: . IIRC some people are sensitive to the sap / crushed leaves ~ so care needs to be taken before deciding to slather it all over in a 70s' Brut stylee

i also trust in marmite! <<<>>>
for those of you who dont like marmite i believe you can can get vitamin b tablets

I trust in marmite too ~ I can't abide the stuff :yuck: but as I seem to be getting chomped on more and more I might attempt to build a tolerance to it :censored: .

At the moment, the best way I can think to improve marmite is to smother it onto Kendal Mint Cake ~ and then launch both vile concoctions into an unstable orbit :grouphug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE