Mystery stone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
when we moved in there was a slab of "stone"which had been the top of some sort of chest of draws and I was wondering if any one could identify it or say if it is one of those fake composite things that they loved making in the 30s and before?

imagejpg1_zps7dad97a0.jpg

i chucked my glass of water on it to bring out the pattern. It's about a yard long and a finger thick. What could I use it for apart from gravel?

Cheers

Tom

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've always used a piece of stone like this as a worktop for leather and harness work; mousepads or similar underneath, and cutting mats on top for cutting and whastever you normally use for stamping etc., and just the smooth stone oiled for skiving; sharpen your blade as you work! It's a much nicer feel when you're working and deadens the sounds of stamping and hole punching, and requires less force on the mallet.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Or reconstituted marble.

i was thinking that was a possibility. Is there any way of telling if it is the faked stuff?

Turning it into a work surface rather apeals, I could make a tray to go under it/ hold it but it would somehow sit ill with me if it was the reconstructed stuff.

For a moment I thought I could use it as a bakestone, cut down to size.

atb

tom

londonscrub

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
London
i think it looks real. if you cook you can use it for all your pastry - it keeps it cool and stops it being over-worked....

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for the input folks. On enquiry herself says it was the top of a elaborate wash stand that was leaning against a wall in the shed when moved in. 3 of the 4 edges were surrounded by a splash back of very elaborate tiles, your high Victorian ugly stuff. I vaguely remember removing the wormy wood work and tiles now I'm reminded of it.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE