MYOG bivy tarp.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
How do you find Pertex works as a bivvy material?

The Pertex shield does the job but it's not very breathable and seems to dry out slowly. Makes nice stuff sacks though.

The Pertex4 struggles with anything other than light rain but excels for breathablity-its in another league. Under a tarp and with a waterproof base, it's quite useable.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The Pertex shield does the job but it's not very breathable and seems to dry out slowly. Makes nice stuff sacks though.

The Pertex4 struggles with anything other than light rain but excels for breathablity-its in another league. Under a tarp and with a waterproof base, it's quite useable.

Interesting, I thought your Pertex 4 hammock was pretty inspired but hadn't considered it as a bivvy material. Hows the durability?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Interesting, I thought your Pertex 4 hammock was pretty inspired but hadn't considered it as a bivvy material. Hows the durability?

I think one of the Rab bivi bags uses or used Pertex 4-maybe the survival zone?

I've found the durabilty excellent. My single layer pertex 4 hammock had a few pulled threads after 10 nights and I was getting concerned but it's done another 90 odd since and is fine. It's strong stuff IME-one of the few that I cannot rip along the weave.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I think one of the Rab bivi bags uses or used Pertex 4-maybe the survival zone?

I've found the durabilty excellent. My single layer pertex 4 hammock had a few pulled threads after 10 nights and I was getting concerned but it's done another 90 odd since and is fine. It's strong stuff IME-one of the few that I cannot rip along the weave.

Food for thought, I'd like to make a custom spec bivvy bag one day. My surplus one works well but it sure is heavy.
I'd always wondered about making a Ventile one but way out of my budget, wouldn't save me any weight either but damn it would be cool :).

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Food for thought, I'd like to make a custom spec bivvy bag one day. My surplus one works well but it sure is heavy.
I'd always wondered about making a Ventile one but way out of my budget, wouldn't save me any weight either but damn it would be cool :).

Agreed, I can't see much benefit to a Ventile bag but I'd like one too.

My DIY bivi was a copy of a Hunka xl, but with a little more room all round and a bigger entrance. I find the shape excellent-much prefer it to the army bag.

Just think CH, you could cut 700g off the weight of the army bag. :D

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Agreed, I can't see much benefit to a Ventile bag but I'd like one too.

My DIY bivi was a copy of a Hunka xl, but with a little more room all round and a bigger entrance. I find the shape excellent-much prefer it to the army bag.

Just think CH, you could cut 700g off the weight of the army bag. :D

Haha think you might of sold me. Now I just need to figure out how to use my sewing machine....

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Haha think you might of sold me. Now I just need to figure out how to use my sewing machine....

:lmao:

Baby steps mate, stuff sacks first after practicing on any scrap fabrics, then get slowly stuck in. FWIW, the bivi bag is not straightforward as there's lots of curves in it.

A pack cover is a good project to do before the bivi-it's smaller but you will practice the curves and cinch channel. Stuff sacks too-no curves but can be fiddly and a man can never have enough stuff sacks. :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
:lmao:

Baby steps mate, stuff sacks first after practicing on any scrap fabrics, then get slowly stuck in. FWIW, the bivi bag is not straightforward as there's lots of curves in it.

A pack cover is a good project to do before the bivi-it's smaller but you will practice the curves and cinch channel. Stuff sacks too-no curves but can be fiddly and a man can never have enough stuff sacks. :)

Cheers for the advice. Getting some more crafty/MYOG stuff done is one of my resolutions this year, so a good way to start out I reckon :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE