My third knife....criticism wanted please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....ok my third attempt, just needs a couple of touch-ups and final polish....once again i had trouble keeping glue off the blade at the handle leading edge....nightmare!....'Woodie' blade courtesy of HillBill...and very nice it is too, hope i've done it at least a bit of justice m8....laburnum, red liners, brass and copper loveless and copper lanyard....side on i'm not sure i like my choice because the coppers come out pinker than i expected....first time i've used it.....but when the darker red liners are in view too it seems ok, lemme know!

MARK2LOW.jpg

MARK1LOW.jpg

my three knives so far...two on left are Mammoth Blades Bushman in 4mm 01 carbon steel, buffalo horn, black and pewter liners with mosaic pins and brass lanyard...Mammoth Blades Huntsman in 4mm spring steel, bog oak, black and brass liners, 2 brass/nickel loveless bolts, one brass corby bolt and mosaic lanyard...on right is HillBill ''Woodie-clone'' in 3mm 01 carbon steel, laburnum, red liners, 2 copper/brass loveless bolts and copper lanyard.

THREELOW.jpg

Last edited:

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
No words... amazing. All of them. I'd like to know where you get the blades? I like trying to make some knives and I'd like starting with blades like them

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Im trying my best to give some helpfull critisism but it looks spot on to me.
I realy like the is it girafe bone one

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...many thanks....its buffalo horn.....and the two on the left are by mammoth blades (you can google it) and the other is by bcuk maker hillbill.....i'll take some more pics once polished and with its kinky leather sheath ive made

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Looks good mate. :)

My girlfriend makes jewellery so i asked about your copper issue. She says use liver of sulphur to darken/antiquate it. :)

Also regarding your glue issue, 3 solutions.

1, allow your epoxy to partly set, so its rubbery and just peel it off.
2, wipe it off with a cloth with white spirit on it as soon as you have the handle clamped
3, put some tape on the blade so that it goes under the handle material, then put the handle on but NO GLUE, the score the tape around the front of the scales with a sharp knife, remove the scales and peel the bit of tape off that was under the handle, then when you glue the handle on, the tape will be totally flush with the scales and no glue will get on the blade ( i use this method, takes a bit longer, but works well. Though you will have to pop the build up of glue off with a knife from the front of the scales)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
point taken m8 and really i did think about it but i did narrow them more on my second knife as opposed to my first and didnt like it as much....i certainly like a bigger knife in my hand, fact, and especially where the thumb goes....of course if i was using it all day i'd probably suffer, i dont know....seems the standard is to make narrower yup but these are personal so suit me darn good.

the scales look to thick to me, which makes them stubby at the front end, nice start though matey:D

LW_Norfolk

Jan 8, 2012
Norfolk
Loving the work there, still not convinced by the loveless bolts though, why those and not Corby bolts? Is it a look thing or is there another reason that you used them?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE