My plea for forgiveness!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ash Blue

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
Manchester
Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake whoever you are!

So, I am owning up and saying I over reacted to some people. I would like to apologise to those people and those who witnessed my attitude problem. But I'd also like to say thanks to all of the replies because i've now used the links to find funding for a course that will be a big help to me.

My goals (big I know, but I won't give up):

-NCFE level 3-5 in bushcraft leadership
-Career in bushcraft instructing
-Eventually my own school
-Forgiveness for being a tw@t!

Sorry again guys. I hope to become a participatng member of this community, and hope you can forgive me. I'm a down to earth guy and had a violent past that is still a personal goal of mine to overcome.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
You're a good man Ash.

Welcome to Bcuk.

Get up to some of our Scottish meets and you'll soon know the score..the English and Welsh seem to drink a lot at theirs...:lmao:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
takes balls that mate.

I'm fed and watered now so I'm in a better mood too.

Now then - down to business as it were.

As said in the other thread you are going to need to know your subject inside out and in this case experience speaks volumes.

Students have a knack of coming out with questions that you have never even thought of. (ask how I know :D)

short term you'll need to get out there and do it (see sig below) - nowt in the world that can't be fixed without practice. Apart from how gorgeous Coln18 is. (git)

you will have to work on your weaknesses the most as chances are that is what you will be asked about. (I'm rubbish as identifying trees for example)

get to the moot and meet a few folk, its amazing what you can learn. (learning by doing)

take a few courses and try and get out there as much as you can. You'll find you become much better at it in no time.

I still maintain that joining the TA is a good idea, for a few reasons. 1. it's paid. 2. It's a great laugh 3. It makes you a more confident person. (as such communication skills develop) - I did a year with the OTC at uni and I loved it. but that is another story.

start making stuff, you learn all sorts of skills when you make things (and it is fun) - doesn't have to be expensive. A mora and a bit of wood = a spoon. all of a sudden you have a lesson you can teach your students.

All the best mate - I was serious in the other thread about inviting me to your school.

Andy

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Fair play to you Ash - as has been said it takes a big man to apologise in public. I wish you well in your endeavour. I think your head was out of the clouds when you started making those phone calls - make things happen for you - not to you! All the best.

There are a lot of folk on here with a lot of experience. As a relative newcomer i watch and learn and as a result my horizons and plans grow everyday. I hope you see the same gain. :D

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Read everything you can get your hands on voraciously, and expand from mainstream bushcraft stuff to related topics, including the paleo side of things, navigation/star/map reading, general mountain leadership type stuff (scouts, TA et al are great for this sort of thing) knots and rope work, even horse sense, riding and so on can have value.

Make yourself a weekly target of achievable goals where you research some stuff and practice X number of new skills while brushing up on your foundation basics.

There is so much information freely available online, through blogs, YouTube etc that knowledge is less of a problem that absorbing it and then implementing it until it becomes second nature.

Concentrate more on areas of weakness than strength - example: I am horribly colourblind and find plant identification, some trees and especially mushrooms really tough to cope with. In the true spirit of our ancestors I have capitalised on my strengths (trapping, hunting, fishing using both modern and traditional methods) and in a group I could bring a lot of useful skills, but I would rely on others for the areas I struggle in. Individually this is not an option, so I force myself to practice plant ID a lot more in the hopes that one day it might sink in - it's hard when someone says "look at the berries on that Holly tree" and all you can see on it are shades of brown...

Don't be afraid to challenge the establishment. I enjoy watching many outdoors/bushcraft shows but anyone with more than a little knowledge in the subject can knock holes in most of them easily. There are always several ways of reaching any given goal state and don't be afraid to find your own - if it works, it works.

Students are the greatest test of any teacher - things unravel pretty quickly as soon as someone asks a question you can't answer. Balance confidence without appearing arrogant, keep things upbeat and offer endless patience and aim to exude an aura (for want of a better word) of calm assurance. Remember that some of your students will be serious experts while most will be at one of the many stages that fall between absolute beginner and expert.

Try volunteering as a course support instructor if time and funds allow. Many schools might welcome an extra pair of hands and you would learn while assisting in return.

If you become particularly adept at certain skills show them off - record some video footage of yourself demonstrating some of your skills and offer them up on YouTube as infobytes of bushcraft.

Example: I often rant about fire-steels and I have this thing about fire by friction which, to me, is a fundamental bushcraft skill. It is also a lot easier than many would have others believe and, as a result of misinformation, many are a little overwhelmed by it all. The fire plough is one of the simplest methods of all and, coincidentally, is also one of the easiest to find suitable materials to run with.

You could very quickly and easily build up an online following via YouTube if you offered snippets demonstrating materials and use of them which, to many, is shrouded in mystery and more than a bit daunting.

Again, if you are particularly good at some things approach one or two of the bushcraft (or related) magazines and offer to write an article or two. That may fly (or not) but if you don't try it will never get off the ground.

Listen carefully, don't be immediately influenced or take everything as gospel and don't be afraid to ask questions or challenge things, politely of course. Often things are done one way because they always have been and nobody thought to improve on it - often they are done that way because it is the best or most return for the least effort method, which is fine.

Experience and ability coupled with an assured manner where you inform people of often complex topics in easy to understand language will be your main assets.

On a loosely related topic employers like to employ people with some sort of history, so do some voluntary work if necessary to at least build up some references and hopefully relevant experience.

I ended up teaching survival courses, back when you were still allowed to call it that :rolleyes: by doing the above (as well as by doing military courses and other related stuff) and I wrote for several magazines (anyone remember Survival Weaponry and Techniques :D) and did a couple of short documentary TV pieces for Channel 4 and the BBC back in the day.

If you want it badly enough you will make it happen - best of luck with it :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi Ash, and welcome. I missed the initial spat or whatever it was, so this is my first contact with you, and that's an impressive opening. Asd others have said, that took a bit of guts to post that. Well done.

We all have our moments on here (everyone has a nerve that can be hit), but as a community it works really well. You'll fit in fine.

Welcome again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE