My parang 10”

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rickyd

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2016
Warwickshire
I have one of the my parangs, used it one one occasion but needed something bigger. How much do you think I’d get for this knife now? Mint condition, oiled handle

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Pricing for second hand goods is often potentially tricky - there is no magic formula to just give you an amount and don't believe anyone who says there is.

You need to consider such factors as current availability new (seems to be available on Heinnie & Ray Mears), desirability (don't see many folk mention them), are there others for sale 2nd hand (not often seen), condition of knife and most importantly how much it's worth to you to sell/keep.

My suggestion would be to consider the full price and work my way down until I hit an amount where I wouldn't be happy for it to sell at then list it at that next level up. ie It's £90 new so if you sold it for £60 would you feel that you may as well have kept it.

All you need is one other person that agrees with you as to the value.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Put it up for sale here to the highest bidder.

Parangs are excellent when clearing brush and farming 'Asian style'.
What are the uses for them in an European environment?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I use one in preference to an Axe Janne.

Clearing back and cutting anything up to wrist size I’m way more accurate with my cuts with a Parang.

It’s lighter and less tiring to wield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: snappingturtle

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I personally use a billhook to take down small branches and banana leaves .
I do have two machetes I bought for fun and to try what the local people use. Do not like them.
Some Jamaicans here call machetes 'Cutlass' which I find quite cool though...

My question was more what you use a parang ( or billhook, machete) in our hobby, bushcrafting.
Long blades like this are fairly useless there, as we do not clear areas from bushes or similar.. And heavy.

I plan myself to use my machetes as a good source to make knife blades from. The Carbon steel seems to be of good, Brazilian quality!

Last edited:

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
In reply to janne I have a skrama bushknife which is similar to a machete, i use it for pretty much everything from cutting poles, splitting firewood, building camp items (pot hangers, tent stakes, etc), clearing brush, taking hot pots off the fire, strikes firesteels, butchers game.

Although its not ideal for everything, it's a capable tool. Worth its weight when it can do most everything you need.
I do not own an axe or a saw and so far not really seen the need for one and sometimes leave my small knives at home.
Although i may invest in a bow saw at some point as theyre very handy for processing large dead standing trees for firewood. But i generally make do without.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Countryman

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I was also a massive fan of the first blood films as a child so a big knife is just super cool to me haha although i shy away from the tacticool crap

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Beautiful shape, wabi-sabi and the wood in the handle!!

I am born lazy, so I never took a saw or a long blade into the wild. To heavy and to much work trying to find a dry dead log. A light small hatchet is useful for smacking pegs into ground and harvesting fatwood though.

Reactions: Mowmow
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Beautiful shape, wabi-sabi and the wood in the handle!!

I am born lazy, so I never took a saw or a long blade into the wild. To heavy and to much work trying to find a dry dead log. A light small hatchet is useful for smacking pegs into ground and harvesting fatwood though.
Thanks Janne! I'm a human colli dog! so carrying a heavy blade and saw don't bother me besides I have a hungry multi burn fire to feed

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
But remember, laziness does not mean saving money not having to buy cool stuff.
It only means the newly bought (cool) stuff ends up safely tucked away waiting for a better day!

I bought the two 'cultlasses' because one looked like it was handcrafted in the hinterlands of Amazonas and the other one in a factory.
Both made by the same Brazilin company though.
Tremontina ?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Put it up for sale here to the highest bidder.

Parangs are excellent when clearing brush and farming 'Asian style'.
What are the uses for them in an European environment?

Forum Rules for Classified ads. No Bidding, this is not Ebay.

I have an 18" semi-Penan style parang, and a Condor Eco Parang. I have used both for limbing downed trees and large branches, and for cutting poles and saplings, and for clearing brambles. Basically they work just as well for these things when the temperature and humidity are comfortable as they do in the tropics ;) Are they better than a well sharpened small axe? Well, for cutting and limbing saplings I think they are, ditto for clearing brush, but the small axe is on par or better for limbing bigger trees and large branches.

The opportunity to cut this sort of stuff as part of a camping trip is limited in the UK, but it can exist, and there are other times when one can need to cut wood that you are not out for a bushcraft camping trip.

Reactions: leon-1

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE