my new Japanese carpenters axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
This just arrived in the post ooooooh!

IMG_7391.jpg

IMG_7393.jpg

IMG_7394.jpg

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
That looks amazing!
That's really what I expected when I saw the Japanese Hand Axe on the Axminster site :p

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
That looks very purposeful, how about a few questions about it.
1) Many Japanese cutting tools feature a very hard cutting edge blacksmith welded into softer steel, the cutting edge looks a bit brighter than the body is this a laminated tool.
2) Given the head is so deep I would imagine it would have a fairly short handle as if you hold it directly behind the head a long handle would be a nuisance.
3) Do they traditionally have a straight handle as the GB one.
4) What wood would they be traditionally used to cut seasoned or unseasoned
5) What type of joints woul dthey have been traditionally used to cut
6) The blade is very angular in section with straight grind to the cutting edge, most axes have a curved profile gently curving down to the cutting edge, why does this one have such straight faces
OK I'm being a nuisance now but just curious their must be reasons for the design.
Looks reallly nice, I bet you are going to enjoy using it once you have put a handle on it.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think this video of a Japanese guy hewing with one will answer many of the questions. He starts and finishes with a heavier axe but in the middle section is using one almost identical to mine.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIB0h4SzHc

It cost a lot (let's say it quick then it won't hurt 150 Euros) A German carpenter friend who did his journeyman time working with Japanese temple builders bought it for me from the smith in Japan.

Pantrekeeper
1 yes laminated
2 no you don't choke up on it you hold the handle at the end see vid
3 yes
4 traditional workers tend to work unseasoned wood, it just makes sense but it will cut anything
5 not for joints more for hewing flats or notches.
6 see vid

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
I saw some axe heads in a shop called "Tokyu Hands" while working over in Japan ... their regular DIY & Craft shops held a plethora of edged tools ... it was like walking in to a candy shop to me :D

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
That videos fascinating stuff with the bloke using the axe in bar feet i could off sworn on a couple off auctions that large and very sharp axe was only a couple off inches from removing his toes :yikes:

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Yum Yum. If you look southwest from your place you will see a tinge to the colour of the sky. It is me turning green with envy.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
I think this video of a Japanese guy hewing with one will answer many of the questions. He starts and finishes with a heavier axe but in the middle section is using one almost identical to mine.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIB0h4SzHc

It cost a lot (let's say it quick then it won't hurt 150 Euros) A German carpenter friend who did his journeyman time working with Japanese temple builders bought it for me from the smith in Japan.

Pantrekeeper
1 yes laminated
2 no you don't choke up on it you hold the handle at the end see vid
3 yes
4 traditional workers tend to work unseasoned wood, it just makes sense but it will cut anything
5 not for joints more for hewing flats or notches.
6 see vid
looks like you got yourself quite a unique item there, give me a heads up in the unlikely event of you not wanting it anymore hehehe

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Thanks for the video link robin, all is clear now.
It looks like hard work to me though, would love to have a go at it - once and once only - ha ha
Very nice tool, hope you enjoy using it.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
He still has 10 toes and his feet don't look unusually thin. Brave man... :cool:

It's fascinating to see that such a "simple" task as hewing a beam can be made in so many different ways. And that it seems like one way sticks as "the right way" in some parts of the world whereas other parts choose a different technique as "the right way".
And the different techniques show in the designs of the tools as well.
Very interesting stuff indeed.
Thanks for pointing out the vid, Robin.

/ Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE