My latest Pictish project! ;)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
This all started when I decided I needed to upgrade some of my own gear. I'm obsessed with all things Pictish, and want to bring Pictish art back to life. so I have been recreating as many Pictish carvings as possible as a way to do this, and to connect in some basic way to Pictish craftsmen by carving specifically 'type 2' stones which have depth to them which are the best for leatherwork, as they are suited to leather tooling methods as well as stone work, wheras 'type 1' pictish carvings do not connect so well as they are more basic lines without any depth.

Some of these design I have copied and drawn directly from the stones themselves, and others I have used drawings by Craig Low that he has done from the stones, simply because his are so well done and there would be little point spending the time doing it again.

Most of these will be put up for sale later today on BCUK and my own website, once I've sorted out all the measurements etc :)

HalfGoat Pictish Device Cases 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Pictish Device Cases by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

My personal set:

Kindle case, phone case (I chose this one because of a dye malfunction on the front!) and wallet :)

HalfGoat Personal works by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

In more detail:

Kindle case with a Snake design by Craig Low, based on the remains of the snake carving found at Inverurie where I grew up. On the reverse is another design by Craig low, a representation of a part of the Boar of Gask stone.

HalfGoat Kindle Case Inverurie and Gask Stone by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Kindle case with wolves from the Keillor and Dunfallandy stones. These were both from representaton by Craig low, again just fantastic carvings

HalfGoat Pictish Kindle Case Dunfallandy and Kiellor by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Kindle case with knotwork and broken arrow symbol both from a stone at Meigle.

carved-pictish-stone-in-the-meigle-museum-east-of-blairgowrie-anmpy2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Pictish Kindle Case Meigle by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Phone case with some general pictish spirals taken from various stones and mixed together

HalfGoat Pictish Phone Case by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Phone case with beasts from the Brodie stone and some nice knotwork

brodie-castle by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Pictish Phone Case Brodie by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Phone case with Pictish mermaid and sea horses/kelpies from Meigle

1094730.jpg[ProductMain] by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
DSC_3367 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Pictish Phone Case Mermaid and Kelpies Meigle by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Phone case with two Pictish stag designs from various stones by Craig Low

Pictish Phone Case Stags by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Phone case with Pictish 'flower' design from Dunnichen with some more general spiral work on the back

meffan-museum-forfar-angus-pict-pictish-stone-ston1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Pictish Phone Case dunnichen flower by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

This phone case has designs taken directly from the Dupplin cross, near to where my mother lives in Perthshire

Dupplin Cross by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Pictish Phone Case Dupplin by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Here's a wee video to show how the pull tab works

[video=youtube;VQGueb5FHnA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQGueb5FHnA&feature=yo utu.be[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Brilliant mate, absolutely brilliant. Having grown up 'round some of the stones I think you've managed to capture the depth and spirit of them perfectly while adding a bit of yourself. There's not a duff one amongst that lot. The colours are lovely too. I think I'll have to save up some bawbees and treat myself at some point.
Thoroughly impressed mate.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Amazing as always, really fine work! :)

I am struggling to find any examplars of Bronze Age decoration to use for my bronze sword scabbard. The decoration exmaples I can find are quite basic, mainly concentric circles or incised triangles and boxes, but I suppose that is how it will need to be.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or pics on the web that might fit the bill?

Last edited:

Dreadhead

But no Pictish Goose emblem... one of those on a wallet and I would be more than tempted!
Superb work as ever!

haha I keep eyeing up the goose, but have a feeling there's only one person who would choose the goose over a wolf or stag! ;) It's on my to-do list ;)

Thanks for the kind words folks :) These are my new 'thing' as they offer a nice big surface to fill with carvings so leaves me a lot of possibilities. Expect to see a lot more of these this year :)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Fantastic mate, absolutely fantastic. Love the Wolves in particular 🙂👍🏻

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
lovely stuff mate :)

when I did mine, I lined then with faux sheepskin, real snug fit, doesn't scratch the screens and provides a wonderful bump proof layer.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Beautiful creations Hamish. Would, or could you ever see yourself doing some Saxon stuff?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Dreadhead

Beautiful creations Hamish. Would, or could you ever see yourself doing some Saxon stuff?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Cheers mate, absolutely I plan on doing a saxon and a viking batch too when I get some more time, but also these hopefully show people what can be done and then they can order custom cases and the like :)

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Those are fantastic... you've captured the stones and put your own twist on them so well... spot on!

Here's a question though... how long did it take you to put that little lot together? Have you been burning the candle at both ends?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE