my latest axe and leatherwork (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
hi there,

just finished fixing up this lovely little elwell kent hatchet:) this time i thought i would go for a basic strait handle to test out a theory of higher accuracy from a book i'v been reading, The Ax Book by D. Cook (not the freebie you get with GB axes!).

i must say it is far easier to make strait handles. i think this is my best axe so far in terms of alignment and grain. one problem with the kent pattern axe is that without having a severe kink in the handle (this would make the handle very weak) it is imposable to hang the head so the bit is facing the work. you can still use these axes with this fault, it just takes more practice and a different way of swinging so the bit hits the target in the middle not the lower corner.

with such a thin profile it does cut very well but as expected it is pretty useless for splitting. so not a great all rounder, more of a crafting axe.

Image057-5.jpg

Image060-1.jpg

Image064-1.jpg

Image065-1.jpg

here is the sheath, its made from 5mm veg tan leather that i got from the identity store at the nature fest. I thoroughly recommend them, i had a long chat to the couple who own the store and got some great tips about working leather and such. they are really nice people and they gave me a great deal on 4 big sheets of leather ranging from about 5-7mm thick bits all for £5! iv still got tones left for many other things i plan to make:)

this is my first go at leatherwork so wanted to make something simple. and yes that is a shoelace lol:)not exactly a work of art like many people's work iv seen but it works well.
Image062-2.jpg

Image067.jpg

Image066-2.jpg

thanks for looking
pete

Nice Axe, Nice Handle, and good sheath...to get a smooth look to the edges of your leather work use a piece of sandpaper on a small block and sand the edges...it works just the same as using a Dremmel with a sander bit.....I bought a Hicory shafted axe from Argos during the sale for £3.00 it too has a very thin blade good for carving etc and I am in the process of cutting the blade down to resemble the Gransfors style...will show some pics when it is done....nice one.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
thanks axemangler. yeah i mite smooth the edge off, im not too worried what it looks like but i think i'll put some pollish on it to protect the leather aswell.
im looking forward to seeing your axe project:)

oh and forgot to say, the handle is ash and came from a big ash we felled at work. it was about 2 foot diameter which is how i managed to get the nice strait grain.

pete

pwb

Well I know who I'm going to ask if I need a new handle put on an axe :D,
nice work Pete.
Like the sheath too, been thinking of getting some copper rivets to try out, they look like they'd be handy. Did you use a riveting tool or can you get away without one ?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Well I know who I'm going to ask if I need a new handle put on an axe :D,
nice work Pete.
Like the sheath too, been thinking of getting some copper rivets to try out, they look like they'd be handy. Did you use a riveting tool or can you get away without one ?

yes you need a riveting tool. basicly its a punch with a hole in it. you need this to hammer the washers on the rivets shaft. then you cut the shaft down to about 3 or 4mm then pean it over. most riveting tools come with a little dish for peaning but this isn't nessasary. i just used a ball pean hammer. also my dad made me a riveting tool. he has lathes at work and turned me one from steel:D

i'll post a pic later to show you.

pete

pwb

yes you need a riveting tool. basicly its a punch with a hole in it. you need this to hammer the washers on the rivets shaft. then you cut the shaft down to about 3 or 4mm then pean it over. most riveting tools come with a little dish for peaning but this isn't nessasary. i just used a ball pean hammer. also my dad made me a riveting tool. he has lathes at work and turned me one from steel:D

i'll post a pic later to show you.

pete

Cheers Pete, thanks for the info.
The tool I was looking at on E-Bay is about a tenner, was hoping I could do without one :).
Wish my Dad had a metal lathe , his only turns wood :D.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Cheers Pete, thanks for the info.
The tool I was looking at on E-Bay is about a tenner, was hoping I could do without one :).
Wish my Dad had a metal lathe , his only turns wood :D.

dads are handy:)

Image068.jpg

Image061-1.jpg

there is a bit of a nack to hamering on the washers, if you don't hammer them strait then the rivets bend. i had to replace two rivets i mucked up on this sheath.

pete

Last edited:

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Nice work Peter. Looks like that will give decades of good service.

What did you use for the wedge? Do I see a second wedge set cross-ways too?

I know what you mean regarding the throw with the Kent pattern heads. It can be done but as you say may weaken the structure as you loose a little contiguous grain where you least want to - in the eye. I have done it & it has held up fine so far.

Great for snedding (limbing), pleaching & many green wood hewing tasks. I have a couple I use for carving.

The Ax Book is indeed a fascinating read & it inspired me to give it a go too.

I found this to be a good read on the subject too...
http://www.sctrails.net/trails/LIBRARY/FSPubs/ax/ax1.pdf

Interesting to see how their opinions & experiences differ in subtle ways as well.

Nature Fest was fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE