My kuksa went mouldy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Read somewhere to boil the kuksa in a brine for a few hours - apparently it helps it to stop splitting. Then placed it in a partially sealed bag and stuck it in a draw in my house - dark and cool. Couple of weeks later i checked on it and its covered in furry mold which has stained the wood.

erm....

1/ Should i have skipped the boiling it
2/ If i give it a sand, do you think it'll remove the markings?

P.s I may have watched too many episodes of House, but anyone think the mould will be anything i should be worried about?

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
That might have been the issue - i think i was employing two methods to help with the drying process and maybe they obviously dont work that well together!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just wipe off the mould,clean with some antibacterial,wee sand then oil up.

I use walnut oil.

I've done that before without any trouble.

Tom.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Distillled vinegar (clear stuff) will get rid of the mould and kill off the bacteria. My guess would be that it was caused by being in a sealed bag so it couldn't dry out.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
.... placed it in a partially sealed bag and stuck it in a draw in my house - dark and cool. Couple of weeks later i checked on it and its covered in furry mold which has stained the wood.

Drying green wood can be fun (spelled 'damn nuisance' at times). The problem here is that you left the wood both damp and airless. What you need to do is a controlled drying to balance the drying (so it doesn't go mouldy) with the keeping green (so it doesn't split).

The way I do it (I carve bowls for fun) is to keep the bowl in a plastic bag for 23 hours, out of the bag for an hour, turn the bag inside-out and put the bowl into the bag for 23 hours etc. Repeat for about a week, then change your timing to 21 hours/3 hours for another week or so. Then maybe change your timings to 18 hours/6 hours for up to a week, then let it air dry.

When you start, you'll get lots of condensation on the bag and the wood will feel wet, but this will noticably decrease.

There are various other ways to deal with this - check the Bodger's website for further ideas - link.

Cheers

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I have a similar problem!

My girlfriend bought my kuksa from the European market in Manchester a few years ago, it's been great. But came to pack for another trip out to find it mouldy :(

Probably stored damp with no air.
I have rinsed it with some mild bleachy water - thinking that would sort it. Left it to dry on a shelf, but it's just gone mouldy again!!

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE