My handmade axe and knife - pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
A few weeks ago I attended a blacksmith class "Make your own axe".

I´m only a beginner in the art of blacksmithing and I must say it is a humbling experience. When you think you´re starting to get the hang of it, everything goes straight down the tubes. Luckily we had a real blacksmith guru as a teacher and he mananged to correct most of my mistakes...

The axe. It is shaped in a rather classical pattern and is suited for general purposes. As can be seen, there is still some work to be done with the birch handle.

The other side

The knife blade, made from scratch. The steel is from red soil and bog iron. I have showed this picture previously in the Bog iron thread.

The axe and knife together

Axe and knife blade in simple birch bark sheats.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think you have every reason to be incredibly with those Holme :D They're really excellent, especially for a first time.

A credit to both yourself and your teacher :D

cheers,
Toddy

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Wow! Outstanding work. You're incredibly talented judging by the quality of those two. It must be an incredibly satisfying feeling to have created tools from the earth; I'm a Geologist and a hobbyist blacksmith in my spare time and would love to combine both interests to create such beautiful pieces as you have made.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE